Spotting Scope for the Truck

Just like the title says, I am looking for a reasonably cheap spotting scope that will be dedicated to the truck. I am sick and tired of trying to use my angled Swaro from inside a vehicle and sometimes the bino's just aren't enough so I have decided to pick up something cheap, with a straight eye-piece and something that offers decent quality. I don't spend too much time scouting from my truck other than for Pronghorn and for looking at deer during the winter/spring. When I am on foot, I will have my swaro in the pack.

I see on Cabelas now they have the Vortex Nomad for $199.99. I should be able to get it a little cheaper if I end up deciding on this one.

Have any of you used this one before? I have not...

Are there any other options out there for less than 300$ that will get the job done?

This spotter will be in the truck at all times with the window mount on and ready to use whenever I need it. Again, cheap is fine, but I'd like something that offers quality as well. I realize it will be nothing like the Swaro, but for the price is this a good choice?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Slim Jim

WKR
Nick I'm selling my leupold gold ring compact spotter 15-13x50 for $225 if interested. I paid $400 for it and it is in great shape. I'm buying a new spotter this spring when vortex releases their new line

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I have had guys tell me to switch to the angled for the pickup because you can rotate the eyepiece and not have to turn sideways all of the time. I take it that is not your experience? I just sold my 80mm Pentax on EBAY....I would have rather sold it to someone I know for the price they paid:( Too late now.

OP
Nick Muche
I have had guys tell me to switch to the angled for the pickup because you can rotate the eyepiece and not have to turn sideways all of the time. I take it that is not your experience? I just sold my 80mm Pentax on EBAY....I would have rather sold it to someone I know for the price they paid:( Too late now.

Matt, I cannot stand rotating my swaro to use from the truck. With the protective cover on it for protection it really makes it a PITA... I just want a straight one to leave in the truck so I don't have to dread trying to use the spotter when needed. The binos work just fine for spotting deer/pronghorn, but I wouldn't mind double the magnification if it was easy to accomplish. I also cannot stand switching out the mounts to make them useable between the tripod and the window mount. I like to be able to grab my pack and go, not mess around with a screw driver or penny to get the set screw out and swap them around. IMO, this purchase will be worth it and with any luck, I will have something to fit the bill by the end of the week so I can use it Saturday morning!

Slim Jim, I think I am looking for something with a bit more zoom, the Leupold looks nice though!

I will have to take a look at the other one mentioned too.

Pretty sure I can get a decent deal on the Nomad, is it worth it for $175ish?

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't think about a cover. That would make it a pita to rotate. If I get one I just won't use the cover. I use the same BOgen 3130 head on my window mount as I do on my tripod so I can switch back and forth with ease. I am sure you will find something that works!!

ElkNut1

WKR
Nick, for your intended use the Nomad will work just fine, I used it for two years & had no issues looking deer over at 2 miles away, I could tell spike bucks from the doe's at that distance, it will be a very good truck spotter.

ElkNut1

OP
Nick Muche
Thanks Paul. I appreciate the feedback! I just figured for the price it was being offered for, might as well give it a try. Worst case, the little lady will have her own spotter this summer when we go on our scouting trips. I just really wanted one for the truck :)

Craig4791

WKR
I think you will be happy with it for truck use. I had one for a year and it was a great little spotter. 60X is not very useful though unless its nice and bright out but up to 40X it's good glass for the money.

OP
Nick Muche
Will do dotman!

My thoughts were that most of the time my 10x42 SLC's are plenty to locate deer from the vehicle and most of the time I can tell what class of deer or elk they are. Most of the time, depending on distance that is about it. I figure if I could double that magnification, I'd be able to tell much much more, so if she don't work well on 60 that is fine but I am really hoping it works well out to 40 power.

I will let you know what I think after this weekend, heck maybe even this evening if I can get out of the office in time to go for a ride.

ElkNut1

WKR
Nick, have fun with the unit, you'll see it's a pretty decent spotter for the money. It does not have HD/ED glass but you'll get out to 50X no problem & still see fine, over that & it will haze up a bit, it is a 200-300.00 spotter though. (grin) There are no spotters at full magnification that are as clear at 40X & 50X if they top out at 60X, this includes Swaro's & Razor HD models. I've looked through them & they are very close to one another, they're still OK at full X but not like 40X. Good luck!

ElkNut1

OP
Nick Muche
After using this scope from my truck for the past 4 days, I am very happy with my purchase. It has allowed me just that little bit extra to see with great clarity the deer/elk that are just out of bino range. Very happy thus far. It's not my 80mm Swaro, but it will have a place in the vehicle and will work just fine!