Spotting Scope Magnification Recommendation

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m new to western hunting and need some expert advice. I currently have a pair of 8x42 binos and am looking to get a spotter. I mostly hunt elk and muleys, and am not as concerned about trophy size. I don’t need to be able to tell the difference between a 300 and 330 bull at several miles, at this point any mature bull or buck is big enough. Also I hunt mostly in the back country so weight is of a concern. With this in mind what magnification range would you suggest for a spotter? It seems those up to 30x are the lightest weight but one up to ~45x would probably fit my needs best.

ZackP

WKR
Did you have a budget in mind?
I think up to 45X you may take a look at the Kowa 55!

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to keep it under $1000 but am good with buying a used spotter.

Rodéo

WKR
I've owned a 16-48x65 and currently own a 20-60x85. I was much more likely to actually pack the smaller spotter and use it on backcountry hunts as opposed to the bigger one. The mag range is more usable to full power on the 85 but it comes down to whether you're willing to pack the extra weight. For my style of hunting, I'm thinking about giving the maven 12-27x a try since it's so light and compact that I know I'd pack it on most hunts. I never felt like I needed more mag with the smaller spotting scope but the light gathering ability and greater FOV with the larger scope comes in handy for sure. Comes down to whether you're willing to take the tradeoff between weight/size and brighter picture/more usable mag range.

I'd probably recommend buying used and reselling until you find something that works for your style of hunting.

I know this isn't what you asked. But it might be better to upgrade binos if you aren't worried about size of the animal. With most quality 10X binos on a tripod you will be able to tell if the animal is a buck or bull. It would save weight/volume in the pack. Or get a pair of 15x binos also. Glassing with a spotter isn't that fun.

This is coming from a guy that packs 2 eye pieces and a big objective end on every hunt. But if I was just looking for a legal animal I would save the weight.

j33

WKR
I had an Athlon 15-45x65 and Kowa 553 side by side last week, used an Athlon for the last year to scout Elk and deers from the house and moved up to the Kowa recently for sheep. The Athlon is excellent bang for buck, it is right up there in quality.

The Kowa is definitely clearer, but for Elk/Deer you will have no issues sizing up Elk antlers with them, Kowa will allow you to determine if it's a 6x6 or 5x5 whereas with the Athlon you'll know it's a big 5x5 or 6x6 so you'll be heading there anyway.

For what you are asking for, a Nikon ED50 with the 13-30 zoom and phone scope + iPhone will suffice....if you even want to carry a scope and tripod. You can find a whole lot of critters and plan the stalk using your 8x42 binos.

I rarely carried a scope when I bowhunted CO elk for 35 yrs. Never wanted the weight and bulk. Nor when i drew UT mule deer tags in an excellent area that had limited distance glassing. I did use my spotter in CO in wide open areas on elk and mule deer.

I'd buy the the best binos I could afford before I bought a scope. Don't know what your 8x42s are, but get decent binos if you don't already have them and go hunt. Fill the scope need later. A phone scope makes your spotter a whole lot more effective in really judging a critter if and when you get to that stage of your hunting career. Good luck!

j33

WKR
For what you are asking for, a Nikon ED50 with the 13-30 zoom and phone scope + iPhone will suffice....if you even want to carry a scope and tripod. You can find a whole lot of critters and plan the stalk using your 8x42 binos.

I rarely carried a scope when I bowhunted CO elk for 35 yrs. Never wanted the weight and bulk. Nor when i drew UT mule deer tags in an excellent area that had limited distance glassing. I did use my spotter in CO in wide open areas on elk and mule deer.

I'd buy the the best binos I could afford before I bought a scope. Don't know what your 8x42s are, but get decent binos if you don't already have them and go hunt. Fill the scope need later. A phone scope makes your spotter a whole lot more effective in really judging a critter if and when you get to that stage of your hunting career. Good luck!
That's a good point above. 42-43 zoom on an Athlon was my max for clarity, after that it goes downhill. If a Nikon can hold to 30 zoom that's not a bad option too.

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone! I like my 8x42s for bow hunting, they are by no means alpha glass just a pair of Nikons.

It sounds like the best options would be a pair of 15+ power binoculars or a lower power spotting scope. I’m considering investing in the high power binoculars first as they may be more comfortable for long glassing sessions. In the mean time I could rent a spotter for any hunts I need to tell the difference between a 6x6 or a big 6x6. This would also let me try out different features and models before I buy (straight vs angled, removable eye pieces, objective size).

huntnful

WKR
Thanks everyone! I like my 8x42s for bow hunting, they are by no means alpha glass just a pair of Nikons.

It sounds like the best options would be a pair of 15+ power binoculars or a lower power spotting scope. I’m considering investing in the high power binoculars first as they may be more comfortable for long glassing sessions. In the mean time I could rent a spotter for any hunts I need to tell the difference between a 6x6 or a big 6x6. This would also let me try out different features and models before I buy (straight vs angled, removable eye pieces, objective size).
I would 100% get better higher magnification binos and put them on a tripod before even considering a spotter. Especially if you don't care about trophy quality. Used Meopta, Maven, or Vortex UHD's should fit your budget!

One other thing which I don’t know the exact terminology for or if it’s just me? An example is it would take a 25x spotter for me to be able to discern more detail than a 15X bino. As long as glass quality is the same of course. And the higher the mag the more you have to deal with stability, mirage, etc.

ZackP

WKR

Could always try and squeeze a pair of 10x42 BX4’s in that budget, along with the Gen 1 85mm Razor that’s on sale at Sportsman’s Warehouse for $749.99