Spotting scope or deposit for the next hunt

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I’m doing a NWT sheep hunt next year. I’m trying to decide if I should buy the tent and spotting scope or use that money as a deposit on a future hunt? I’m choking on all the extra costs - are they really necessary?

Trr15

WKR
No advice on how to spend your money, but if you decide to buy gear I’d wait until December/January and pick up a tent and an alpha glass scope from the classifieds on here. You can usually get some pretty good deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could always buy a used one from the classifieds then sell it when the hunt is done and not be out any money in the long run.

But I have a feeling once you look through some alpha glass, you will have a hard time letting it go.

There is always the option to rent a spotter too, but I don't have any experience with that.

Jimss

WKR
I'm a little confused? Are you going on a guided sheep hunt? I'm pretty sure your guide will provide the tent and possibly spotting scope. I would have a tough time sitting back and waiting while my guide glasses though. I'd rather have my own! Several years ago I sold a lot of my old equipment and other stuff that tended to lay around so I could upgrade to the latest/greatest/light weight gear/clothes.

As of right now my plan for next years hunt is to rent a spotter unless I find a killer deal on one. There’s no way I’m going without one, as I want the full experience, but like you said, the extras on a 1st sheep hunt can bury a guy

Wapiti1

WKR
I own top notch glass and don't take it on guided hunts where the guide has good gear already. The only time I take a tent is if they put two people in a tent. I prefer solo sleeping arrangements.

I've found that it is rare in the US and Canada the guide/outfitter doesn't have good gear for you to use.

90% of the glassing will be with binocs, so get good binocs. The spotter will come out to see if you need to hike closer and you'll have plenty of eye time in the scope with just one.

If this is your first hunt. Save your money until you know you need that gear.

Just my 2 cents. You'll have a bunch of little costs that you should save that cash for.

Jeremy

OP
ericthered

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a little confused? Are you going on a guided sheep hunt? I'm pretty sure your guide will provide the tent and possibly spotting scope. I would have a tough time sitting back and waiting while my guide glasses though. I'd rather have my own! Several years ago I sold a lot of my old equipment and other stuff that tended to lay around so I could upgrade to the latest/greatest/light weight gear/clothes.
Yes, its a fully guided McKenzie trip. That's the issue, the guide has a spotter and tent is supplied. Do I need to spend the money on these items? there is also the extra weight, but that's a lesser concern. In the end, I'll have $4 -5K in extras that I could use for another hunt.

OP
ericthered

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I own top notch glass and don't take it on guided hunts where the guide has good gear already. The only time I take a tent is if they put two people in a tent. I prefer solo sleeping arrangements.

I've found that it is rare in the US and Canada the guide/outfitter doesn't have good gear for you to use.

90% of the glassing will be with binocs, so get good binocs. The spotter will come out to see if you need to hike closer and you'll have plenty of eye time in the scope with just one.

If this is your first hunt. Save your money until you know you need that gear.

Just my 2 cents. You'll have a bunch of little costs that you should save that cash for.

Jeremy
Yes, first sheep hunt. I've hunted elk for years, but binoculars were always adequate.

Yes, its a fully guided McKenzie trip. That's the issue, the guide has a spotter and tent is supplied. Do I need to spend the money on these items? there is also the extra weight, but that's a lesser concern. In the end, I'll have $4 -5K in extras that I could use for another hunt.
You don't have to take a tent or a spotter, unless you just want to. Take some good binos though.

If you haven't bought binos yet, I highly recommend the 10x42 El Range. Nice to just press a button while looking through your binos to range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
First world problems for sure. While I've never been on a guided sheep hunt I leave soon for my 6th DIY sheep trip. We only ever bring one spotter between 2 people so I couldn't imagine taking one if your guide has a top notch spotter already.

I'd share the guides spotter but ensure you have a great set of binos....Swaro, Leica, etc. If you do take a scope, get a phone scope too. Just know you are adding over 5#s to your pack for a 65mm scope and tripod to use sitting. My buddy and I always share a scope and tripod on DIY sheep hunts. Good luck and book that hunt!!!

OP
ericthered

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys for all the help. I'll save the money for a deposit. Ive also been introduced to the classifieds which some how I missed on RokSlide.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Your guide will have one, why spend the extra money and carry the extra weight?
If you feel you need one, rent one for a couple hundred dollars and put a deposit on another hunt. Best of both worlds.