Spotting Scope or High Power Bino?

Sako300

WKR
Excited to look thru the Zeiss 15x56 Conquest HD's I just bought off a guy here! Supposed to come Monday. I'd already got the 10's and have really enjoyed them this last year. Very first thing they made me think was "Wow! Man... now I gotta wonder what looking thru 15's of these must look like?" (Because to me it looks so good in these 10's)

RUM61

FNG
Tried the spotter, went to 15x and finally settled on some top end 12x on a carbon fiber tripod. Spotter was too heavy as were the 15x and both with a small FOV. 12x just seemed to fit the spot for me. Most of it depends on the country a person is in at the time.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
If you guys had to choose, would you rather have a spotting scope or a high power (15x) binocular on a western hunt? Or even for scouting? What are you gaining and giving up choosing one over the other? Just curious about the pros and cons.
I would have the best 10x42s I could get first, then a spotter, then a 15 bino. In that order.

And a western hunt can mean a lot of things. More details would help.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Field judging is SUPER important to me. There's no way 15x will come even close to 60x for field judging. Try field judging mtn goat at a 1/2 mile where a 8 1/4" billy is a dink and a 9" billy is decent. How about antelope where a buck with 7" bases is a whopper and 6 1/2" is just an average buck. Try to field judge an antelope at 600 yards where inches can make or break score. How about Alaska dall sheep where 8 rings and full curl is required in many sheep units. Try to field judge any of these effectively with 15x is nearly impossible unless at point-blank range.

I can also likely spot an ear, nose, rump through thick brush at 1/2 mile away across a canyon with spotter while this may be next to impossible with 15x. I can see where using 15x would be popular and effective to use in brush country in Arizon for coues where there is so much brush and country that looks similar. There are times when 15x may help but is it really worth it packing 10x, 15x, and a spotter for field judging? I really think 10x plus spotter is a great combo for most Western situations.

What's also nice is being able to hand-hold a pair of binos all day with a heavy pack on while hiking. It's impossible to do this effectively without sitting down every time you want to glass with 12 or 15x binos on a tripod. While still hunting or even stalking an animal there is a real advantage to having a pair of binos that can be hand-held.

Blue72

WKR
Field judging is SUPER important to me. There's no way 15x will come even close to 60x for field judging. Try field judging mtn goat at a 1/2 mile where a 8 1/4" billy is a dink and a 9" billy is decent. How about antelope where a buck with 7" bases is a whopper and 6 1/2" is just an average buck. Try to field judge an antelope at 600 yards where inches can make or break score. How about Alaska dall sheep where 8 rings and full curl is required in many sheep units. Try to field judge any of these effectively with 15x is nearly impossible unless at point-blank range.

I can also likely spot an ear, nose, rump through thick brush at 1/2 mile away across a canyon with spotter while this may be next to impossible with 15x. I can see where using 15x would be popular and effective to use in brush country in Arizon for coues where there is so much brush and country that looks similar. There are times when 15x may help but is it really worth it packing 10x, 15x, and a spotter for field judging? I really think 10x plus spotter is a great combo for most Western situations.

What's also nice is being able to hand-hold a pair of binos all day with a heavy pack on while hiking. It's impossible to do this effectively without sitting down every time you want to glass with 12 or 15x binos on a tripod. While still hunting or even stalking an animal there is a real advantage to having a pair of binos that can be hand-held.
Once again, Not everyone is extreme trophy hunting

this is the view in my backyard. The tip at the end of the coast is a little over 5 miles away. I can glass just over half of that easily with 12x/15x. Can even detect dogs or people moving in the last 4-5 miles. Sometimes I do break out the spotter, but atmospheric conditions don’t always allow me to get better detail, just a larger scale image

the second pic is just slightly over 2 miles away, holding my 12x42 on a monopod while I’m holding the phone in my other hand with no phone scope type of device. I’m sure with a Tripod and a digiscope bracket the image would be better

38809E1C-7BFA-4C4B-A465-AF9E3A886435.jpeg
5B73F049-5845-452A-A189-6223EA72D019.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: WRM

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Going to try Meopta 15's paired with a Kowa 502 for my high country deer hunt next week. The two combined weigh less than my Kowa 773. I obviously won't get the high magnification performance of the 773, but I'm hoping the 502 will give me just enough detail if I need to take a closer look. I'm not counting inches though, just looking for a decent framed buck.

Blue72

WKR
If you guys had to choose, would you rather have a spotting scope or a high power (15x) binocular on a western hunt? Or even for scouting? What are you gaining and giving up choosing one over the other? Just curious about the pros and cons.
Since you guys manufacture and sell both types of these optics…..what is the company opinion on high powered binoculars vs spotting scopes?

Western hunting can give you miles of open country and also mere feet of line of site. It’s way too broad of a concept.

Take the following for what it is: free advice.

Buy the best binoculars for where you do the bulk of your hunts. Put them on a tripod and use them when hunting out “west”. I’ll take 8x SLCs over 15x Tascos all day long. Clarity trumps magnification.

Most people would be better served by running what they have (see previous paragraph) for several “western” hunts and then making a decision on what makes the most sense for where and how they’ll be hunting.

If you want to field judge, grab a quality spotting scope. This could be for “is it legal” as well as “judging to the millimeter”.

If you want to glass, then here’s a simple test. Put your binoculars on a tripod. Then look through your binoculars with one eye while keeping your other eye open. Look through left lens with right eye or vice versa. If you can do this for a prolonged period of time, then get a spotting scope. If not, then get 15-18x binoculars. Or grab a BTX and be done with it.

Ripnbst

FNG
Once again, Not everyone is extreme trophy hunting

this is the view in my backyard. The tip at the end of the coast is a little over 5 miles away. I can glass just over half of that easily with 12x/15x. Can even detect dogs or people moving in the last 4-5 miles. Sometimes I do break out the spotter, but atmospheric conditions don’t always allow me to get better detail, just a larger scale image

the second pic is just slightly over 2 miles away, holding my 12x42 on a monopod while I’m holding the phone in my other hand with no phone scope type of device. I’m sure with a Tripod and a digiscope bracket the image would be better

View attachment 316364
View attachment 316365
You've got one hell of an Optics test bed right in your backyard.

Ripnbst

FNG
I've got some Vortex Vultures 15x56. A couple weeks ago, I bought some Zeiss 15x56's.

Shoot me a PM maybe we can work out some sort of trade.
How do you like the Zeiss 15's? I've got a pair on backorder. I read a couple reviews talking about them being difficult to focus. Have you experienced this or not really?

TheGDog

WKR
How do you like the Zeiss 15's? I've got a pair on backorder. I read a couple reviews talking about them being difficult to focus. Have you experienced this or not really?
Huh? difficult to focus? Hmmph. I like it's focus ring, it's pretty aggressive. Meaning you don't have to turn it much to focus in. Light touch for slight adjustmemts.

Ripnbst

FNG
Huh? difficult to focus? Hmmph. I like it's focus ring, it's pretty aggressive. Meaning you don't have to turn it much to focus in. Light touch for slight adjustmemts.
That was the feedback from the others as well, that it was "very sensitive" making it difficult to get right. I am not that concerned about it though. I have two other Zeiss optics that I am enamored with so I am hoping for the same performance from these.

fatrascal

WKR
15's are nice. I used to have a pair. But I do not consider them "high power" by any means. I do not consider 18's or 20's high power either. 12's, 15's, 18's, 20's cannot do what 40x through 60x can do, no way, no how. To lose the weight of a spotter is very appealing to an old backpack hunter like me but its not going to happen. Its too important of a tool to find game at long range.
Just this week I had relatives come from Florida and we got snowed out of our backpack hunt and the fog has been socked in at high elevation for 10 days. So we truck hunted this week and while truck hunting I was able to use the BTX with 65mm which is set 30 power. I was able to find game that 15 power would have never seen a couple of mountains away. I could not judge them, not even at 60 power but I was able to move closer and go from there. The moral of the story is that we are out there to find game and the more magnification you have the more game you can find. I do admire people who can get by with 15 power but I'm not one of them. My go to arsenal for backpack hunting will always be 10x binos for around the neck and on a tripod and a 20x60x65 spotter. In the truck I use every tool I can afford.
I say try the 15's and if you are happy then you are good to go. If you find you need more then sell the 15s and get a lightweight spotter. Fatrascal.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I feel that I’ve finally dialed in my glassing setup for typical western h in hunting.
Binos: Swaro 10x42 Range EL
Spotter: Swaro STX 85

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue72

WKR
15's are nice. I used to have a pair. But I do not consider them "high power" by any means. I do not consider 18's or 20's high power either. 12's, 15's, 18's, 20's cannot do what 40x through 60x can do, no way, no how. To lose the weight of a spotter is very appealing to an old backpack hunter like me but its not going to happen. Its too important of a tool to find game at long range.
Just this week I had relatives come from Florida and we got snowed out of our backpack hunt and the fog has been socked in at high elevation for 10 days. So we truck hunted this week and while truck hunting I was able to use the BTX with 65mm which is set 30 power. I was able to find game that 15 power would have never seen a couple of mountains away. I could not judge them, not even at 60 power but I was able to move closer and go from there. The moral of the story is that we are out there to find game and the more magnification you have the more game you can find. I do admire people who can get by with 15 power but I'm not one of them. My go to arsenal for backpack hunting will always be 10x binos for around the neck and on a tripod and a 20x60x65 spotter. In the truck I use every tool I can afford.
I say try the 15's and if you are happy then you are good to go. If you find you need more then sell the 15s and get a lightweight spotter. Fatrascal.
How far away was the game you spotted?