Spotting Scope preference

TRUSAVAGE

FNG
Purchasing a new spotting Scope and not sure weather to get a straight body or angle. Can some of you please take a moment and tell me witch you prefer and if there was an experience in which you regretted having one over the other. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
I used to run angled, switched to straight and won't be going back. Easier to aim and locate critters, fits in my pack better, much easier on the neck for looking downhill or long glassing sessions.... the list goes on.

Only advantages of angled are if you're looking up all the time or need to rotate the eyepiece.

dtrkyman

WKR
I just spent 20 days glassing for mule deer, first time with a bino spotter combo. I hate the spotter, the one eyed squint all day just is a hassle, I will likely sell mine after the season and may go the btx route or try an angled, mine is a straight.

Really only used the spotter occasionally, 15x bino are much more pleasant and you find more game. If you are not counting inches I wouldn't even worry about a spotter personally.

Not sure how angles vs. straight will make much difference when you can adjust the tripod wherever you need it, but I did not like using the spotter for extended glassing, may try an eye patch!

Marble

WKR
It's a preference for sure. I disagree with both previous posters.

I do see how a straight spotter can be easier to aim initially, but that litteraly changes in one session.

I'll be on either of my spotters for hours at a time. If it was a straight spotter I would have neck issues.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
I've always used straight, so can't compare. However, I definitely spend time situating my tripod and the scope so the ocular lens right up to my eye when I'm in a natural sitting position so I can look through with minimal head tilt, twist, etc... Seems pretty comfortable over longer term for me if I spend the time setting it up right.

Pmiller45

FNG
Angled for me. Less neck strain, easier to phonskope with. I also find using an angled much easier to pan way left or right and not change my tripod or seated position due to the ability to rotate the eyepiece. There is a learning curve to pointing it exactly where you want slightly more bulky to pack.

I have thoughts occasionally when using an angled that straight would be nice when I’m looking down at more extreme angles and also when using it out of the truck. Straight would seem to be easier to pack and a first time user will probably have less trouble locking in on what you’re trying to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used my sons straight scope on a couple trips before I bought an angled one. You’re almost always set up in a high place glassing across and down with the slope falling away in front of you. That means it can be difficult to get the tripod high enough to be comfortable. I dont Carry a scope when hunting if I’m Carrying a rifle. Too much weight. Only if I’m part of a team and someone else has the tag. If I’m packing a rifle, my 12 power binos are fine. I just prop em on my walking stick. I’m seriously considering picking up a pair of 15X binos.

ianpadron

WKR
It's a preference for sure. I disagree with both previous posters.

I do see how a straight spotter can be easier to aim initially, but that litteraly changes in one session.

I'll be on either of my spotters for hours at a time. If it was a straight spotter I would have neck issues.

Do you have neck issues while using your binos too?

Straight spotters put your spine in a neutral position, hunched over looking down all day is bad juju for your lumbar and cervical spine.

ianpadron

WKR
I've always used straight, so can't compare. However, I definitely spend time situating my tripod and the scope so the ocular lens right up to my eye when I'm in a natural sitting position so I can look through with minimal head tilt, twist, etc... Seems pretty comfortable over longer term for me if I spend the time setting it up right.
Yup and that's the key. Straight is soooo much more comfortable IF you get the height adjusted properly. See so many guys claim that angled spotters are comfier to look through...who spend 10x the amount of time behind straight binoculars...explain that one LOL

Marble

WKR
Do you have neck issues while using your binos too?

Straight spotters put your spine in a neutral position, hunched over looking down all day is bad juju for your lumbar and cervical spine.
No I don't. I have zero problems either way, but generally I lean back against something like my pack, hillside, tree or rock with my binos. It's never flat where I hunt and I rarely am looking at areas lower than where I'm at, so it's more natural for me to lean forward or look down into something that is covering areas mostly level or elevated from my position. Super rarely there will be something where I'll need to turn the spotter, but again that's rare.. that's rare.

I've had the straight spotters and have found them to be less comfortable and versatile for various positions. Just my experience.

I use Swaro SLCs, the 95 spotter and a larger Vortex razor.

I think if the OP wants to make up his mind, just go to any store with spotters and tripods and try them out. I would suggest to take them outside the store and look in natural light at real stuff. More life-like situations. Not a mount 200' across the store on the wall. That's not a good way to choose glass.

Marble

WKR
Yup and that's the key. Straight is soooo much more comfortable IF you get the height adjusted properly. See so many guys claim that angled spotters are comfier to look through...who spend 10x the amount of time behind straight binoculars...explain that one LOL
For me I don't use my binos on a tripod very often. So whenever I'm using with binos in whatever orientation I'm looking, up or down. It's more comfortable for me to look in a level to downward direction. So my angled spotter is more comfortable.

At the truck I might use my binos on a tripod or window mount, but usually I have my spotter out hard mounted onto something.

This question the op proposes is a very personal preference based much on various situations, environments and how someone's body is most comfortable.

There is no right or wrong answer. It's what works for the individual.

Wapiti1

WKR
I have both angled and straight. When I backpack with a scope, the angled goes. When I am glassing from or near the truck, the straight scope goes.

When backpacking I take a light tripod that is more stable low, and I am usually glassing up or straight across. I weight the tripod with a stuff sack full of whatever is handy, but it is still not as stable as my big aluminum beast tripod that stays in the truck. At least not with an 80mm scope on it. So, I prefer to set it up as low as possible for comfort. Typically me sitting on the ground or sitting in a short chair. The last part of this is that I sometimes don't put my scope on the tripod. I just lay it over my pack or make a nest with a jacket. Not possible with a straight scope. This is also why my angled scope is a Leica with top focus knobs.

From the truck, I don't care about weight and use a heavy Bogen tripod with an equally heavy gimbal head. Even at full height for me standing that is a solid tripod. My lighter and physically smaller CF Surui or Slik tripods are never going to be as stable. The straight scope is also easier to use on a window mount.

If I could only have one, angled would be it. It will do all of what a straight scope will, perhaps not as quickly, but it also does a couple of things the straight scope can't do.

I'll say, that when I glass, the scope is a check that animal I saw with my binocs thing. In 4 hours of glassing, 3.5 are spent behind binocs, and .5 is behind the scope. Its more like, hey, there are some tiny elk way over there, get the spotter on them to see if they are worth my boot leather.

Jeremy

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an angled spotter after reading all the threads on this question. I later borrowed a straight and am very upset at my angled purchase. I dislike it so much I hardly ever bring it. I much prefer straight for many of the reasons listed above. It is a pain to fit in the backpack, straight is much easier. Slow to find animals whereas the straight is much quicker. I understand the thought of neck pain / issues but I am not in Alaska glassing straight uphill for mountain goats all the time. Any long glassing session I can manipulate my tripod in a way to overcome this issue. If anyone has a straight and is interested in an angled PM me. I've got a like new vortex razor HD sitting in my gear pile doing nothing.

I switched from straight to angled. More comfortable for me and I can use my tripod lower giving a little more stability. Easier to glass in towards the sun if you have to since you’re looking down instead of facing it.

I'll explain that my neck hurts from looking through my binos off a tripod but never from my angled spotter. lol