Spotting Scope preference

I used to run angled, switched to straight and won't be going back. Easier to aim and locate critters, fits in my pack better, much easier on the neck for looking downhill or long glassing sessions.... the list goes on.

Only advantages of angled are if you're looking up all the time or need to rotate the eyepiece.
Agreed. Plus angled is more susceptible to rain and snow falling on the ocular.

The only time I would prefer an angled scope would be if the majority of my glassing was sharply uphill.

eric1115

WKR
I like straight because it lets me pop binoculars off the tripod and spotter on and still be positioned correctly. I've used angled and don't like that when I want to take the binoculars off I have to adjust tripod position.

The best argument I've heard for a straight spotter was from the guys on Tundra Talk. As sheep hunters they liked that they could position themselves for less silhouette when looking over a rise from above sheep. I also see where straight could be better from a vehicle. Although most angled spotters can easily be turned.

I like to use my spotter for astronomy as well as hunting so an angled is better for this. I use a Swaro ATX. The easier to aim argument is lost on me. I've never had an issue with finding my target with an angled spotter.

I like the idea of the BTX, but does anyone feel a Phoneskope set-up is superior? I probably use a Phoneskope with my ATX 90% of the time I'm hunting. Now you get to use both eyes, zoom, and you're able to record.

ybeaudoin

FNG
Straight every time, sit down on a helinox zero, get the height right and can spot all day

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
I have an angled which I use when on the valley floor, less neck torque Also have a 554 for backpacking, and I like the straight because it is easier to get on game quickly with the smaller FOV and I use it more from up high looking across or down. Each has its day

I think after really jumping into using the spotter this year, I prefer straight. I do see how some would like angled. Maybe because I’m so used to a bino, I like straight. Just seemed to work better for me. It’s seems to be a personal preference though. Almost like backpacks and all of our other gear :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
after 25 years of working (work as getting paid :D) behind a straight spotting scope; I decided to try and an angled one for hunting; angled is what I'll use from now on

Macintosh

WKR
Use my spotter standing up most of the time. I’m 6’3”—VERY few (none?) tripods are tall enough for me to use a straight spotter standing up unless its angled sharply down which rarely happens to me, so I have to stand with feet extremely far apart in order to avoid being really hunched over. For this reason angled is easier for me most of the time.

opalfan

FNG
Angled for me. One gets neck pain with straight spotting scope after extended spotting. I have a Swaro scope and a NIkon Monarch scope. Both are wonderful, but I truly love the Swaro :)