WTB Spotting scope / Rangefinder for newbie

bloom1gr

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to hunting out west/still hunting/glassing concepts. Moving to southern Oregon next month and primarily going to be chasing deer and elk both with rifle and bow.

From what I've read about the game in that area, I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of the spotting scope. From some e-scouting with OnX and Google Earth it looks like there may be a fair amount of opportunities to sit back and pick through some ridges.

I've never had or used a rangefinder, but expecting I will find myself in a situation or two where that'll be pretty critical.

Since I'm just getting started, I'm not wanting to spend a ton to get the best new thing on the market. I've been sifting through the classifieds a fair amount and just arrive a bit too late each time so far, so I figured I'd try to post here and see if anyone might be interested in helping me get some gear to hit the ground running.

Thanks in advance

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I’ve got a Cabelas Intrepid 20-60x80 made by Vortex. It’s basically a Cabelas branded vortex viper. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

wmp1991

FNG
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have a vortex razor hd spotter if you’re interested. Bought it and used it for one hunt.

wmp1991

FNG
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have a vortex razor hd spotter if you’re interested. Bought it and used it for one hunt.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably well out of my price range but I'll ask what you want for it??

Harveyb

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still looking I have a Leupold ventanna Spotting scope that comes with a table top tripod and a metal case.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am - but not sure if Leupold fits in my budget ... all that I've seen on here are pretty expensive. How much are you looking for?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OIC well then some 8’s and a steady hand should do! Haha jk. On a serious note the only thing I can really tell you is that I prefer the desert. My favorite method is to use binos and spotters. The good thing for you is the desert is a short distance from Medford. If want to hunt that kind of treason of course. And if so then obviously the good old rules apply. Get the best optics you can afford. If you can only afford one good price right now then start with binos 1st. 10s are a good start, but for the tripod there’s more high powered options. If you can afford a few then graduate to spotters but only after you’ve gotten the bino department taken care of. That’s my two cents on optics. If I were you in Medford I’d be taking the short drive east every fall. I’m not to far south in CA. In a similar situation. I do everything I can to stay in the desert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
As others have said and I learned through my own experience invest smart to begin with don’t buy mediocre binos and spotter. Buy the best binos you can afford. Get setup with a stable tripod and bino adapter and you will be amazed at what you find over hand holding. I would recommend 10’s good all around, if you get in cover anything more powerful will be to much, but if you drop to 8’s you will loose some range when trying to glass open areas. Then save and get a good spotter down the road. My recommendation would be something like a maven or Leupold higher middle end they will be a good compromise of budget and quality glass. When going to the alpha glass (swaro, Leica, Zeiss). You are primarily buying time at the beginning and end of daylight hours, maybe only 3-5 mins. Performance in the middle of the day will be very comparable unless you are a glass snob and know the minor details to look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a cabelas krotos HD 15-45x60 spotting scope if you're interested.
Don't know what your budget is to know if its in the price range you're looking.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey, I'm in Medford.
To be honest, if you are hunting local, a good pair of 8 or 10x binos and a tripod is all you need to get a good start here. If you end up wanting to go to eastern Oregon (most people end up doing it eventually) a decent spotter will help. But that sounds like a "later on" deal. If you are glassing for a "legal" animal and not judging inches, binos and a tripod are a great start. If you are wanting a 150 deer and not a 140... spotter.
Feel free to hit me up when you hit town.