Spotting Scope Recommendation (sub-$400)?

klejeski

Lil-Rokslider
I know you are looking for advice for your given Price range so for what it is worth. My recommendation is to hold off and find a better quality used scope. like anything buy once cry once. For what it was the little vortex razor does a pretty good job. Also Doug at cameraland is great to talk with

Blue72

WKR
You can get brand new Nikon ED50 on eBay from Japan for $299

Even if you had more money it’s hard to beat the great reputation the ED50 has

They are on Amazon for $349 too

You can get brand new Nikon ED50 on eBay from Japan for $299

Even if you had more money it’s hard to beat the great reputation the ED50 has

They are on Amazon for $349 too

I'm pretty sure that's just for the body.. you still have to buy the eyepiece.

The whole setup is $800+.

Blue72

WKR
I'm pretty sure that's just for the body.. you still have to buy the eyepiece.

The whole setup is $800+.

You can get a Nikon 27x wide angle eyepiece for a little over $170...total cost is $470

In addition many people have made adapters for the ed50 to accept Astro eyepieces. Many of those quality eyepieces are under a hundred bucks reducing the cost even more

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can get a Nikon 27x wide angle eyepiece for a little over $170...total cost is $470

In addition many people have made adapters for the ed50 to accept Astro eyepieces. Many of those quality eyepieces are under a hundred bucks reducing the cost even more

In that quality realm (according to the birder reviews I had read through) I'll put in a plug again for the 60mm anlged ED opticron I've got in the classifieds with 14-45zoom. Priced $360 currently (well below half current retail on the latest ED model they have) and weighs 33.5oz. Can even pick up a 23x wide angle eyepiece for $165 new (https://www.optics4birding.com/opticron-hdf-18xww-50-23xww-60-28xww-77-eyepiece.html) to land for similar money with a 60mm objective of similar image quality with both 15-45zoom and 23x wide angle...

Anyways just figured I'd mention it, I don't think folks don't know much about the brand and might be overlooking a solid option for some folks needs.

Txhunter85

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar situation. I went with the cabelas krotos spotting scope. I found it on close out for like $450? You can find them around your price point used. If you look through one you’d love it.

Dharby

FNG
If you search some you can find a Pentax 65hd for right at 400. Then get a astro fixed eyepiece until you save a little for a Pentax eyepiece.