Votes: 56 62.2%
  • Zeiss

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other?

Votes: 18 20.0%

• Total voters

DuckDogDr

WKR
Looking for spotting scope..its ultimate purpose will be for a future sheep hunt(s).and primary for purchase and ..the reason for posting in this forum vs the optics ..I know people say purchase for what you use 90% of time ..but the truth is where I hunt typically I have very little use for a spotting scope. Would come in handy at range when sighting in though.

I'm a big fan of leupold and their customer service
Strongly considering theirs but open to other brands. A little worried about pack weight but understand quality main concern.

Leupold, Leica, zeiss or Swarovski?

Depends on application. Kowa ends up looking good when cost/weight are thrown in there.

For thin horns, unless you're next of kin or a resident, I'd let the guide carry the heavy glass and a Kowa 553/554 gets you a decent view that will be a minimal burden to carry around. It will save you from spending unnecessary thousands on something you dont use elsewhere as well.

tuffcity

WKR
I have the Kowa 663. I find its a good size for back packing/hunting. Using a 20-65 eye piece.

tdot

WKR
I've worked up from borrowed leupold optics to a kowa 66, then Swaro ATX65 and BTX/95 and this year I've used nothing but my ATX 95. I was only able to notch my tag this year because I had the ATX95. I simply couldn't have identified and counted the rings on my ram without it. I wont personally be packing anything less from now on. When I originally purchased my Kowa 66, I'd also looked at the 88, it was clearly superior, but I couldn't stomach the price or the weight. Now I wish I'd bought it as I would've had superior optics for the last 6 or 7 years and I would've saved money and weight vs the ATX 95.

PSH

FNG
I am a dealer for all major optics companies, and get to play with them all on a regular basis. If budget is not a consideration, buy Swarovski and be done with it. Leupold would be my choice if I was trying to save a dollar and/or wanted to buy U.S. made product. You mentioned that you don't use spotting scopes were you normally hunt, but once you have one at your disposal, you will use it more than you think,

Depends on application. Kowa ends up looking good when cost/weight are thrown in there.

For thin horns, unless you're next of kin or a resident, I'd let the guide carry the heavy glass and a Kowa 553/554 gets you a decent view that will be a minimal burden to carry around. It will save you from spending unnecessary thousands on something you dont use elsewhere as well.
I have the Kowa TSN-554 15-45X straight eyepiece going on five years and can highly recommend it. However, since you mentioned using it on a sheep hunt, where you will likely need to count growth rings, I would look more at the TSN-883 or at least the TSN-773, both 20-60X. Though I prefer the straight eyepiece for the terrain I typically hunt in, I would go with an offset since a large percentage of sheep glassing will be looking uphill.

Last edited:

TN VOL

FNG
I agree with renting one first, or borrow a friend's before making such a big purchase. Optics4rent.com is a company I can recommend and I'm sure there are others. Try straight vs angled eyepieces as well to see what works for you, your hunting style and hunting environment. I use mine more for competition shooting than hunting so I purchased a straight eyepiece. I also preferred it for locating game that I spot with binos, then switch to the spotter. I have used Kowa spotting scopes for more than a decade and I highly recommend them. I currently have the 774.

Jimss

WKR
I'd advise watching closely to the classified section on this website. Buy a nearly new Leica or Swaro and then sell it for the same price after your hunt!

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
The 65mm Leicas are a great scope for sheep hunting where weight is a consideration.

Jimbob

WKR
I wish I could afford a Swaro/Leica/Kowa. I make do with a Cabelas Kronos 15-45x65.

I am 3/3 on walk-in DIY Stone sheep hunts counting rings with that scope (well the second sheep I counted with my binos).

This year I was not able to count rings at 550 yds through a mirage on the bedded rams. We couldn't get closer for a shot anyways BUT it would have been nice to age all those rams from that distance. When they got up to feed we snuck in and from 320 yds feeding I counted rings with my scope.

You can still hunt successfully without top-of-the-line gear, just get the best you can afford.