Spotting Scope Size

Dust1n

FNG
I’m going to be purchasing a 15x45x65 spotter off the forum here but I was wondering what’s everyones opinion on 15x45 vs. 20x60 spotting scopes for a bighorn sheep hunt.

I know the bigger the optics the less walking but the next size up is substantially bulkier and heavier.

The useable magnification of a spotting scope is dependant on a number of factors including the quality of the glass and the conditions in the environment you’re glassing. Having a higher power scope isn’t necessarily going to be an advantage over a lower magnification scope.

If your looking at purchasing a Swarovski or any high end scope then I would say absolutely buy the 20-60x. On a lesser quality scope that higher magnification is typically only going to be useful under ideal light conditions.

WLD

FNG
The useable magnification of a spotting scope is dependant on a number of factors including the quality of the glass and the conditions in the environment you’re glassing. Having a higher power scope isn’t necessarily going to be an advantage over a lower magnification scope.

If your looking at purchasing a Swarovski or any high end scope then I would say absolutely buy the 20-60x. On a lesser quality scope that higher magnification is typically only going to be useful under ideal light conditions.
What this guy said, consider what the majority of hunting and terrain you will be in. Backpacking vs truck spotting, judging legality as in sheep or size for deer or elk. Big scopes can get extremely heavy to pack around all day. It all depends on your needs, I personally go lighter and get closer if I need to. Most of the time that works for my style and type of hunting.