Spotting scope straight eyepiece vs angled eyepiece

Gaffer

FNG
Newbie here in the market for a high end spotting scope. What are the downsides to an angled spotting scope vs a straight scope? My preference would be for a straight scope but I don't want to.exclude angled scopes out of ignorance.

Outwest

WKR
Probably one of the most cussed/discussed topics when talking about spotters. Personal preference is the end all here.

Pros of a straight are quick target acquisition and easy transition from binoculars to scope on a tripod to retain the same FOV without adjustment.

Pros of angled is more comfortable over long periods of glassing/observation. Also, you can get away with a shorter tripod and still have usable height.

MY preference is angled. I like how comfortable it is to sit behind it for a long period of time. As far as binocular transition, most all angled spotters have a ring that allows the scope to rotate to any angle. So I just rotate the scope 90*, cock my head and have the same FOV, not as big of a deal as it’s made out to be IMO.

Do your best to try both in a hunting scenario if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gaffer

Gaffer

FNG
Super helpful advice. Had not thought too much about the sitting down while I scope aspect.

I had the same question when I was first looking at getting a high end spotting scope. Ended up with a Leupold Gold Ring. They only make that model in straight. So that’s what I ended up with. Honestly I spend hours glassing both in the field and outta my pickup. I like having the straight scope for pickup use, as it just clamps on my window. I don’t get uncomfortable glassing in the field. If you have a good tripod I’ll make up the difference. You can’t go wrong with either as long as you purchase a high quality optic.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
If i could have a re-do, i would go back and get a straight spotter. Yes, you save a little bit of room with an angled spotter in a pack, but it honestly doesn't make that much of a difference. Like OutWest said above, the transition from Binos to a straight spotter is super nice to have. I find it SUPER frustrating to be sitting down behind Binos on a tripod, and then have to put on my Spotter, and then have to adjust the height of the tripod due to the angled eye piece, and then figure out where the deer, elk, etc is at now in reference to where i'm looking. I'm going to be selling my Athlon Ares 15-45x65 for this exact reason. I'm going to a straight spotter just for the ease of swapping out optics on a tripod.

Transitioning from binos to angled spotter isn’t too bad for me. When setting up to glass with binos I make sure the center post on my tripod is extended a bit. So when switching to the angled spotter I just lower the center post a bit and I’m ready to go. It takes some practice and as long as you have an idea of where the animal is on the mountain relative to other landmarks you should be good to go.

OP
Gaffer

Gaffer

FNG
I’m definitely going to go with high end glass. Thinking of going the used route with a preference for straight spotter. If I see a deal that’s too good to pass up for an angled spotter then I would go angled.

A little off topic, but another big consideration you should take into account (especially if you're planning on packing your spotter over long distances), is wt. If you're not counting rings, or trying to determine whether or not he's full curl, from hundreds of yards away, you may not need the big heavy glass. Anyway, just another consideration while you're looking.

Wapiti1

WKR
The choice for me, I own both angled and straight, is where I am hunting. If I am hunting where I'll be on the same level as the game, or above the game, or I'll be using the truck window often, then I take the straight scope. This is usually when I am after elk, deer, and/or antelope.

If the game is primarily above me, the angled is the only choice. Sitting with my head angled up for any length of time kills my neck. I can adjust my tripod to keep my head level or slightly down with the angled scope and it is much more comfortable. Sheep and goat hunts tend to be where I take the angled scope.

I also take the angled scope when multiple people will be using it. Its easier to set up low and everyone has good access to the scope without having to adjust it or have the people stoop to see through it.

With a little practice finding game in the angled scope isn't difficult. Most have a sightline on them to help line up with.

I probably take the angled scope more than the straight if I think about it. Overall, I think that is the more versatile scope.

Jeremy

OP
Gaffer

Gaffer

FNG
I anticipate I’ll mostly be looking down and straight across so that’s a great point to consider for how I’ll be using the scope. Sounds like a straight scope to start would be best choice for me. Thanks everyone for all the input. Really helps with the decision making.

pirogue

WKR
Buy it for How you anticipate looking the most. (Down/even or up)
The general saying is lazy, road hunters buy angled, because they are usually looking up.
Guys who put boots to the ground, find themselves looking across canyons and down into canyons, and buy straight.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
A straight is always going to give you faster target acquisition paired with binos, you're making the right decision. Listen to Jay Scott's podcast about this topic.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have a GR 12-40 that is straight and agree that swapping from binos is super easy. I like the angled as long as they rotate, but it does take a bit longer to get the tripod setup.

I’ve recently bought an angled to try out for a while and have my leupold GR HD up for sale on here if you want straight and want a good piece of glass that is still compact and light.

Agree you really need to just try both.

If you plan to use it from a truck window mount get the straight.

I owned one angled spotter and hated it. I own 3 straight eyepiece spotters now.

KurtR

WKR
Buy it for How you anticipate looking the most. (Down/even or up)
The general saying is lazy, road hunters buy angled, because they are usually looking up.
Guys who put boots to the ground, find themselves looking across canyons and down into canyons, and buy straight.

haha that’s funny everyone here buys straight because it’s easier to glass from the pick up with the window mount.

OP
Gaffer

Gaffer

FNG
I have a GR 12-40 that is straight and agree that swapping from binos is super easy. I like the angled as long as they rotate, but it does take a bit longer to get the tripod setup.

I’ve recently bought an angled to try out for a while and have my leupold GR HD up for sale on here if you want straight and want a good piece of glass that is still compact and light.

Agree you really need to just try both.

Not quite ready to pull the trigger on a purchase. But will keep yours in consideration. How do you like the clarity and brightness on your Leupold?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Clarity I would say is good, but to get great you’d have to pay north of $2k. It’s right in line with the best in the $1000-$1500 category.

Brightness I think is awesome and a strength. Probably the best distinguishing feature (besides size and weight) is its 30mm eye relief. It is silly easy to get a great, full FOV picture behind it. I went with a angled because it had the two piece finger focus which I actually prefer vs the barrel focus which many have gone to.

I have had both. But- angled wins. Way more comfortable on the neck. Way more versatile.
Being able to rotate the scope in a collar negates just about any advantage a straight scope offers except for fitting into a pack.

TravisIN

WKR
I guess I’m weird and I use an angled ou of my truck. I rotate it so it’s sideways but I really like it that way because I don’t have to turn in my seat to get behind a straight spotter. Just my preference