Spotting scope straight eyepiece vs angled eyepiece

I have always used angled, I am going to finally buy a Swaro and stop always wanting a better scope in the field. I can get a way better deal (600 less) on a straight one and can’t decide if it’s the right decision

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
When I decided to spend some serious money on a spotter I debated both options having used mostly angled in the past and not having any issues with them doing what I want. I ended up getting a good deal on a straight spotter and I have really enjoyed it more than I thought I would with not having to change anything swapping from binos and also it being a lot more like a big lens when I run a digiscoping setup. It really all comes down to personal preference anyways, but for all the guys spending hours behind binos on a tripod I think its funny how they come up with saying a straight spotter is uncomfortable to sit behind.

TheGDog

WKR
Straight scopes... to me.. seem to be easier to pack. Easier to put in and take out of a side-pocket on your pack. Angled will probably make your neck slightly less tired/stiff over a longer amount of glassing time. But that's likely very minimally different. If I go for a spotter again, it will be straight next time.

One nicer things about straight scopes (and binos)... is that... if you can see the object over some obstruction, you pretty much know you should be able to setup a straight spotting scope to see it as well. Where as... with an angled... if it's one that doesn't allow leaning/rotation you might not be able to get it up high enough to see over the obstruction that you can see over standing up yourself.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
This is why our hard learned buy once cry once took us down the ATX STX path. Focused, no pun intended, on a deal for each component because while I like an angled, and don't even know why except comfortable + high angles, in tall brush the STX really helps the setup.

jimh406

WKR
I bought angled when I upgraded mine. I like looking down instead of straight out. I don't think angled saves any space for me since it's probably going to be in an outside location in my pack.

It's easy to rotate to let shorter people see without resetting the scope. That's handy for letting them see what I am looking at. It took a while to adjust from straight, but I can get on an animal pretty quickly now.

I also use mine to scan areas at distance. Do consider your tripod mount and make sure you have one that is capable of that.

I think angled is also better to look at stars/planets.

You could do like we do, I have a straight and my wife has a angled spotting scope. Works well for us.

ClearCreek

Ended up with a straight Razor HD. Optics are just ok, but couldn’t pass on the deal. As mentioned by others, the target acquisition is really easy. Spend the money on a quality tripod!!!

Drop_Tine

FNG
The straight vs angled spotter debate confuses me with regards to glassing with binos.. If I'm glassing with binos uphill then won't the straight spotter suit my needs? They don't make angled binos other than the BTX and Kowas as far as I know.. so the neck issues would be there just from bino glassing..

Thanks,

Drop_Tine

The straight vs angled spotter debate confuses me with regards to glassing with binos.. If I'm glassing with binos uphill then won't the straight spotter suit my needs? They don't make angled binos other than the BTX and Kowas as far as I know.. so the neck issues would be there just from bino glassing..

Thanks,

Drop_Tine
Depends. If you're glassing steeply uphill with binos, on a tripod which is set at a height primarily for level and downhill glassing, you will encounter the same neck strain as with a straight spotter. If free handing your binos, that's not an issue since you can adjust your body posture to compensate. Does that make sense?

Drop_Tine

FNG
Makes sense. With a correct height tripod though couldn't I use a straight spotter effectively looking uphill? Or would I have to contort myself to get behind the glass?

repins05

WKR
Bringing this thread back to life Because I am getting ready for a purchase. Lots of rain and snow where and when I hunt. Seems like this could be a major issue with an angled spotter? Feedback?

I had always had straight scopes, so I bought an angled one to see if I liked it. I currently have 3 spotters ,2 straight and one angled. Really prefer the straight in my truck with window mount. The angled is awesome sitting on the ground, I find that I can lower my tripod more and present a lower and more stable profile. I live in Southern Alberta and wind is always a factor. Also lots of wide open terrain. Think I will roll with one of each from here on out.

Vaultman

WKR
I have an angled. I have used a straight, but never owned one.
I love the angled. It is great for me and the other heighted hunters that I am usually with.
Remembering that you can twist the spotter so the angle is sideways.
I guess snow and rain will get on the eyepiece more, but I have never had that be a problem.
I did try to use it in a truck once. Yeah that doesn't work well. But that is not really a use I need.

Though, I did get an ATX in case I didn't like the angle I could sell and rebuy a straight, but I did not need to.