Spotting Scope under $1,400

Daddy

FNG
After doing a ton of research I've gotten many opinions on the best spotting scope for under $1,400, but wanted to ask the rokslide community for my specific situation. I'm interested in high quality glass in a 65mm objective and an adjustable eyepiece that goes to at least 45, angled. I plan on using it for backpack style hunting mule deer and also dall sheep in alaska. I've been looking alot at used glass on ebay and there are some good deals on there. Any suggestions? kinda looking at old version of vortex razor around $700, Meoptas around $1,000, kowa around $1,000, zeiss around $1,100. Weight is always an issue and compactness. But I want to buy once cry once and get something I won't upgrade for years. Any suggestions? used vs new? any older versions or brands mentioned to stay away from? I currently have a vortex viper spotter and it's just not cutting it. Thanks guys

The Meopta Meopro HD would be my choice if your going for an 80mm spotter if weight isn't going to bother you for that price. If you are really wanting to go the 65 route I would defiantly try and find a used ATS 65 HD. If I was not going to go with that spotter I would go with a Kowa.

You can find a Swaro 65 used on eBay for about $1,700 or an older non-HD for $1,300. I wouldn't suggest the non-HD. You'll have to be patient if you're shopping for a Swaro scope anywhere because the demand is high.

If your budget is firm then maybe buy a Vortex/Meopta/Kowa used with the intention of upgrading later. If you're careful with your gear and don't think you'll need warranty work there is a fantastic Leica APO Televid 62 on eBay for $1,200 right now. Leica's APO is equal to HD by other brands. You wouldn't need to upgrade if you got the Leica 62 - it's that good.

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
The Meopta Meopro HD would be my choice if your going for an 80mm spotter if weight isn't going to bother you for that price. If you are really wanting to go the 65 route I would defiantly try and find a used ATS 65 HD. If I was not going to go with that spotter I would go with a Kowa.
I have the Meopro HD 80mm and I am happy with it. I would love to go to a Swarovski and maybe save some weight and get better images, but the difference was not worth the price.

I think additional money is better spent on the tripod.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Rodéo

WKR
I'm running the razor hd 16-48x65. It's a quality scope and will definitely get the job done but if you're willing to spend $1400 and truly want a 'buy once cry once' solution, find yourself a used swaro 65.

TheCougar

WKR
Man for what it’s worth, I don’t think I would recommend a Razor. I’ve got a 65mm Razor and I’m just not impressed. It’s definitely better than the $300-600 spotters you’ll find at Cabelas, but it also isn’t up to the level of a Kowa or Swaro or Leica. If it was me, I would try to get a used ATS or Kowa. You will have to up your budget to 1700 or so, but I don’t think you’ll regret it. Take it from a guy who was in your shoes - don’t spend $1400 and get something pedestrian, when an extra $300-400 will get you something awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
Another option to toss in the mix is the Pentax 65ED. I own both the Pentax and the ats 65HD. My Pentax will do 99% of what my swarvo will do, and yet is a lighter unit.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Pick up a used 65mm Swarovski HD or a Leica 62 APO, make sure the Leica is the latter of the series with the locking eyepieces. Both excellent.

Honorable mention is the older previous generation Zeiss Victory FL 65mm,

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I've enjoyed my views behind my Nikon EDG 65. They aren't lightweight spotters, but you could probably acquire a couple of them for ~$900 each.

jhm2023

WKR
You can pick up a used Swaro ATS 65 HD for not much more than what your budget is. I think they are usually around ~$1,600, sometimes less. It's worth the stretch if you'll be hunting thin horn sheep. I used a vortex for a few sheep hunts and passed a lot of rams because I couldn't confirm legality even up close. I finally saved up to get a Swaro and took a 10 year old ram that was actually smaller than many of the sheep I had passed on previous hunts in the same drainage. You buy it nice or you buy it twice!

Jardo

WKR
Get the kowa. I’d go for the tsn 883 or 884 prominar. Best glass available and less expensive than Swarovski. The 66 does not have fluorite glass but is still a great piece of glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ericl33

Lil-Rokslider
Kowa 663 will not disappoint you. I use the fixed 30x wide angle eyepiece 98% of the time and pack the 20-60 for the rare occasion I need a closer look. Check out the size and weight specs and you will see why it's a no brainer to pack up a mountain.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mcmahonff

FNG
Vortex Razer is a good option but I agree with others that if you are spending that much you are very close to getting into Swaro glass.

snopro176

WKR
Messaged you about my kowa for sale as well as my past experiences with all these spotters.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TreyPound

FNG
Hard to beat the Vortex Viper in your price range.
Sometimes you can find demos at a better price, including higher end Razors, if you do a search.
Mathews Monster Wake, Bowman Accu-Riser I and II, OK Renegade 8, Hamskea Versa Rest , Hogg Father Sight , AEP Snyper Stabilizers, AEP QDs, Easton Axis and Easton Hexx arrows, Carter Insatiable, TruBall HBX, Carter Brass Insatiable, Carter Brass Just-B Cuz
Scorpyd Crossbows... nothing else compares Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 binocular...simply superb