Spotting Scope

JAXNRYLZ

Lil-Rokslider
First time poster, taking my first mountain hunting trip this fall! Wondering what folks would recommend as far as an entry level spotting scope that won't break the bank?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

OP
JAXNRYLZ

JAXNRYLZ

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to keep it in the $100 - $150 range that would include a tripod.

Thanks!

Entry level spotter in the $100-150 range isn't "impossible." It's entirely do-able. If you can find a clean used Bushnell Spacemaster with a fixed 20x eyepiece, you might be surprised how good it is. I used one of those for my first two years of elk hunting - from the truck and base camp - and spotted plenty of elk with one. It's not a backpackers scope but I did pack mine into several high glassing points during pre-season scouting. I spotted the largest bull I've ever seen with that scope from 1.7 miles away and could count tines. I paid $60 for that scope on FeeBay. I just use it to spot bullet holes at 300 yards now, and guys at the range can't believe how sharp and clear it is for a 30 year old scope.

Mine looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-SpaceMaster-15-45x50-Spotting-Scope/dp/B0000A0AIL

the key here is the fixed 20x eyepiece. The zooms aren't very good.

Another very good scope for the money is the Celestron 65mm scope. I know several folks who own one and it's extremely sharp and bright for the $. This is the one I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-52248-Ultima-Spotting-Scope/dp/B0002CTZC0

At your price point you are looking for used. Bushnell makes a compact spotting scope that can be found in that price range. I think the guy above me mentions the model. But I’m not sure. I’d recommend saving up a little more and find a Leupold gold ring HD 15-30 I’m that $350 range.

I’m in the middle of upgrading my spotting scope to a more powerful scope than my 15-30

i Was sort of just in your shoes and bought a $400 spotter, not gonna lie compared to binos on a tripod it’s just not that great, you think having all the extra magnification is great but I hands down rather look through nicer binos on a tripod then the spotter. I recomend listening to the guys saying uprgrade the tripod and binos instead. Spotters are for seeing little stickers, new guys like me and you are just trying to know if it’s got antlers or. It. Binos will do that all day on a tripod for you

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the above post. I don't think that spotters at that price point offer the utility to be worth packing the weight. If car company built trucks at $7,000 new of the lot people would buy them but they would break in the first 10,000 miles or not do the things you need them to do.

slatty

WKR
A leupold gold ring 50mm spotter went for $125 recently on classifieds. Keep an eye on posts and you might get lucky.
I agree with the suggestion of getting a good tripod. I ran the Vortex Summit SS-P tripod for years and loved it. I'm really happy with my KDC granite peak tripod for binos, although it's limited in what it can handle for a scope (in my opinion it could handle a 50mm scope at most)

I would recommend a vanguard endeavor hd... Used could prolly find one in the 250ish price point. It's a big difference from the low end spotters to an endeavor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Picked up a Simmons 20x60-60mm 3 or 4 years ago for about 90 bucks online I think. Very low quality but better than nothing I guess. Was hunting mostly thick timber at the time but it did ok for the price.

Blue72

WKR
How about higher powered Porro binoculars

You can still get Pentax or Nikon 16x50 binoculars for $110-120 brand new. They both have great reviews with good warranties , plus you have the comfort of two eyed viewing

The glass on both of these binoculars exceed their price point

In addition to a larger field of view, A deer at a half a mile can be pulled in to within a 50 yard view with 16x binoculars

Mgbmike

FNG
Like the idea of saving the weight and saving the money invest in a solid tripod and use your binos.

TreyPound

FNG
I don't know, I have a Swarovski and it's only so-so. I've had it side by side with some other scopes at different matches, and it doesn't compare well. It's older, so I'm assuming the new stuff is better. It's puts a yellow tint on everything and just doesn't resolve detail like others I've looked through.