Spotting scope

Bpop208

FNG
About to buy my first spotting scope for hunting out west. What’s the do all spotter in regards to 65 or 85? I do a mix of truck hunting, and possibly overnight to 3 day hunts. But I want to be able to see impacts out to 1000 yards while target shooting on steel. I also plan on using it to track my impacts while hunting solo. I run 10x42 binos so would it be worth the extra weight to snag a cheaper Diamondback/Argos 85 HD or get a 65mm with UHD glass like a razor or ares?

OP
Bpop208

Bpop208

FNG
I guess I should throw on. Athlon Argos 85 vs Athlon Ares G2 65 for anyone who’s got experience with either.

I say it a lot on here but buy a nice spotter or dont buy one at all. Ive had cheap ive had mid level and now a nice kowa 774. My first was a vortex diamond back and it was about useless in comparison to my maven B-2 binos at any distance. It seems athlon has a good reputatiin on here in the lower/midlevel proce range. The gen 1 razor was good to me.
Id buy used if your looking in that lower/mid range cause youll probably end up selling it and upgrading

About to buy my first spotting scope for hunting out west. What’s the do all spotter in regards to 65 or 85? I do a mix of truck hunting, and possibly overnight to 3 day hunts. But I want to be able to see impacts out to 1000 yards while target shooting on steel. I also plan on using it to track my impacts while hunting solo. I run 10x42 binos so would it be worth the extra weight to snag a cheaper Diamondback/Argos 85 HD or get a 65mm with UHD glass like a razor or ares?

An 85mm objective lens doesn't give you any more magnification than a 65mm objective lens. But, if you're not carrying the spotting scope on your back and merely using it at the shooting bench and from the plush comfort of your highway vehicle, might as well blow your wad and go hog wild with an 85mm.

Gone4Days

WKR
I have an Athlon Ares G2 65 that I have been impressed with. I am not a guy who uses a spotter a lot. Mainly for scouting and digiscoping. I bought it based on reviews and great price ($487 expertvoice). For the price it’s great. My SLC’s 8x and 15x do most of my glass work.

The Swarovski STS/ATS is the benchmark that all spotting scopes are trying to achieve. Find a used STS/ATS 65mm and call it a day. The Non-HD model was practically HD so don't pass on a good deal just because it's not HD.

Search Craigslist/eBay/Rokslide/other forums for gently used high quality optics and tripods.

Jimss

WKR
Hands down buy an almost new Swaro! It's worth every penny! I picked up mine for about 1/2 price on this websites classified adds that was almost like new. If you are super lucky you may be able to find a like new demo Swaro.