Spotting scopes

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
What are your guys thoughts on spotting scopes are they really necessary? What do you guys run and why? What are some good options with out breaking the bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TriX10

FNG
It defiantly depends on the terrain you are hunting, if your gonna be in thick timber where you cant see very far to begin with, obviously not needed, but for the open country where you could be spotting game at great distances, the spotting scope could really make a difference in determining whether the animal is legal or not further determining if you are going to make a stock. or wait for the next one. I don't have a scope at the moment, but have been on the lookout for the smaller vortex razor.

Rich M

WKR
All kinds of topics like this int he optics forum. If you search it you'll find a ton of info.

I chose to buy a spotting scope this year (11-33x50 Razor) and am looking forward to using it.

The vortex razor 11-33*50 is my go to scope for archery backpack hunts. Weighs about 25oz and is effective out to about 2 miles for determining if I want to go after a bull or buck. When hunting off a 4 wheeler I carry an 85 mm razor, good to about 4 miles for judging animals. The quality of the vortex are phenomenal for the price in my opinion. Warranty is legit - had a horse crush my small razor and it was replaced no questions asked.

Phone Skope

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
A spotting scope also opens up the opportunity to use a PhoneSkope and get quality content of animals you want to put on your "list" you may not always "need" the magnification, but its sure nice when you do!

Catahoula

WKR
I like using my spotter during the summer scouting I do (Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80). I never have it with me for archery hunts. Rifle hunts I may pack it along on the “Just in case I need it” type scenario. Or if I’m helping my cousin or uncle find Deer or Elk on their rifle hunts. I like the scope for what it is.

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Ill tell you how I made the switch to carrying a spotter.

I randomly met some guys hunting the same ridge I was and we decided to team up to look for deer. Later in the day, the sun was going down and we were glassing some sagebrush only about 500 yards away and one of the guy calls out that hes spotted several deer in the sagebrush and a couple bucks. I swing my binos around and all I can see is mottled dark brown sage. My binos were unusable in the current light while this guy called out the deer's movements for the next 30 minutes.

I bought a spotting scope the next day and now run a Swaro 95mm.