spotting shots suppressed

Forest

WKR
So I have a tbac ultra 7 in jail, should be getting it fairly soon hopefully. I am getting ready to do a new build for a lightweight hunting and longer range plinking gun. Will be a tikka with 20" carbon six barrel and some type of lighter weight stock. Trying to make my final decision of cartridge before ordering the barrel.

Will I be able to spot my shots with this setup and a 7saum???

I initially intended to do a 300wsm but I am guessing that is out of the question. I know suppressors reduce recoil a fair bit, although from what I have read it's not as great as a good brake. I've shot a lot of 300 type guns and recoil doesn't bother me a bunch. But i want to build something i will enjoy shooting and will shoot a lot more often because of it. I think spotting shots would help me a lot. Open to other ideas too, first and foremost this will be an elk slayer.

Geewhiz

WKR
I think it will depend on the finished weight of the rifle, but I'm going to say at most reasonable distances, no. At further distances possibly.

I've got a 12ish lb 338 rum with a tbac 338 ultra on it and am unable to spot hits at a grand.

That's my experience

I have an 18" 308 and 26" 300 winmag...way easier to spot impacts on the 308 and its 2lbs lighter...I would suggest going with a shorter barrel as well..you will be 27ish" overall with the can on.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m shooting 180eldm at 2750, veeeery light ejector marks to get there. Not quite 100 rounds so hopefully I get a little bit of speed up. Either way I’m happy with those speeds. 64.2 gr h1000.

I've got a TBAC ultra 7 in jail as well, should be getting close. Curious how long you've been waiting, when did you purchase?

OP
F

Forest

WKR
I think it will end up in that 8-8.5lb range with the scope if my math is correct and depending on which stock i decide to go with

Antares

WKR
So I have a tbac ultra 7 in jail, should be getting it fairly soon hopefully. I am getting ready to do a new build for a lightweight hunting and longer range plinking gun. Will be a tikka with 20" carbon six barrel and some type of lighter weight stock. Trying to make my final decision of cartridge before ordering the barrel.

I initially intended to do a 300wsm but I am guessing that is out of the question. I know suppressors reduce recoil a fair bit, although from what I have read it's not as great as a good brake. I've shot a lot of 300 type guns and recoil doesn't bother me a bunch. But i want to build something i will enjoy shooting and will shoot a lot more often because of it. I think spotting shots would help me a lot. Open to other ideas too, first and foremost this will be an elk slayer.

T-minus 5 until someone shows up and says you have bad form and that you should be able to spot hits with a 5 pound 300 RUM at 100 yards.

I have a braked, 11 pound Tikka in 6.5CM that is very easy to spot impacts with, but I have trouble doing the same with my lightweight 308s.

OP
F

Forest

WKR
From what I gather so far is that the saum is still one of the better options for what I feel is a elk worthy cartridge. Don't care so much about spotting shots at 50yd but as I stretch it out I think it will make me a better shooter if I can.

I'm building an almost identical tikka in 7 SAUM with an 18" Carbon Six barrel. Still waiting on parts, but its shocking to see how the SAUM bug bit us all this year. I've got a Grayboe Phoenix stock on the way since they finished their tikka inlet this summer. What stock are you looking at?

I can easily spot hits at 800-1200 yards with my suppressed 30 Nos shooting 220s.
I'm using a Banish 30 in the 9" configuration, recoil reduction is every bit as good as any aggressive 5 port brake I've used.
If you're struggling to spot hits suppressed it can be fixed with some technique and training