Spotting

Sendit88

FNG
Sorry in advance I know this topic has been mentioned once or twice but after looking for a week I haven't found the answer. I'm looking at either getting a 1465 mm spotting scope or a set of 15x56 binos. I have pair off 10x42's on my chest. And I don't care about trophy's thanks in advance

brn2hnt

WKR
How far you glassing? How long? Is the spotter or 15’s for spotting game, or just getting a more refined look at something spotted with the 10’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sendit88

FNG
How far you glassing? How long? Is the spotter or 15’s for spotting game, or just getting a more refined look at something spotted with the 10’s?

Not sure and until I find one ya I just want to spot them so I can make a move and not wear my feet out.

brn2hnt

WKR
Rifle season I’m assuming? I would probably lean towards the spotter. Elk are dang big and hard to miss.

I doubt there’s a lot of situations where 10x isn’t enough but 15x is. Hence leaning more towards the extra power of the spotter despite the way higher fatigue.

With elk, you’re really only looking at 1.5mi+ where you need the bigger glass, and at that range, the fov advantage of the 15’s will really be minimized.

Grab a pair of quality 15s, put them on a tripod, and glass.

Can a pair of 10x and a spotter work? Yes, but that is not necessarily as effective in the glassing game than a pair of 15x and a spotter.

But some folks will also tell you that they can repeatedly glass up bull elk 10 miles away with 8x binoculars and accurately judge it to within 3”.

Take anything and everything on the internet with a grain of salt.

Grant K

FNG
for elk I'd go with the spotter all day, but get a tripod adapter for your 10's and use that as well...
I have 15's and they are the only way to go for Coues deer or tough Muley glassing situations but they don't really give you much advantage for elk, elk are big and not that difficult to see at reasonable ranges, you're generally not glassing for an eyeball at 400 yards like you are with coues, you're looking for a big tan object a lot farther away, get the spotter so you can cover bigger ground and tell if it's a bull at 2 miles.

Hornpout

FNG
I'd recommend either the Vortex UHD 18x56 or the Maven B5 18x56. I have never liked looking through spotters myself and 18x binos have served me well. Using binocular vision makes up for lack of magnification compared to a spotter.