Spring bear binos

Kshusker

FNG
Saying everything is equal, would 10s or 12s be better for glassing? Don't want to bring in a spotter also, so I am trying to decide between 10 or 12s, this is my first bear hunt so I am trying to get the best set up I can. This is a spot and stalk hunt non baited if that helps. I appreciate any help in advance.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey there - that's a great question! Both 10x and 12x binoculars have there pros and cons. The 10x is going to give you a wider field of view and a better image (all else equal). A 12x is going to give you obviously more magnification, but with a narrower field of view and whenever you increase magnification you are also diminishing the image quality slightly.

The other thing to consider is whether you will be using a tripod or holding them in your hands. With 12x some people can hold them steady, but it's important to remember that you are not only magnifying the image, but any movement as well. If there is any shake in your hand it could make them tougher to use.

If you have any questions, please let me know! Good luck this season!

WKR
Think of optics as a system, build the system and then choose the best elements for a given application. There is good reason that 10x42 and an 65-80 mm spotter is the most common system for western hunting. It covers a lot of bases.

If you're buying new binos, think beyond one trip and buy for the system that will give you the best utility.

I hope the tripod is assumed in this situation, it's a non-negotiable and a far bigger factor than 2x magnification.

For spring bear, I'm bringing 8x30 on my chest, 15x56 in the pack plus either a doubler, or a spotter.

I’d look at how far your line of site is. If you can see for a long ways, then look at 12s. If your line of site is short, then 10s.

Use a tripod.

OP
K

Kshusker

FNG
I have nikon monarch 5's 10x, but am looking into renting a pair of higher end binos for this trip. I would most likely be holding them.?. We will be back pack hunting so I am trying to watch how much I pack as this is also my first backpack hunt. I will look into an tripod set for the binos also, sounds like a tripod is preferred for either the 10's or 12's.

j33

WKR
Those Monarch 5's are solid binos other than their narrow FOV. I picked up a Nikon HG to compare against my Monarch 5's and I can hardly tell a difference with my eyes.... Don't get too caught up on getting the highest end binos.

12x42 = tripod needed, 10x42 = tripod not needed, but of course always better for glassing for a long time....

If your trying to watch your pad weight I would go with what you already have with your 10x42's, can use your trekking poles to help stabilize it. Don't get too far down the gear rabbit hole... just yet anyway after you're first trip you'll want a bunch of crap.

tdot

WKR
If you don't know the distances that you'll be glassing, then a 10x with the widest FOV will likely serve you best. Movement and black are what you'll notice, you aren't trying to find a tine or an ear twitch. If you're unfamiliar with judging a bear, then the difference between 10x and 12x wont make a huge difference. Personally I feel that clarity trumps magnification on Bears.

If you don't have a tripod, IMO a set of 8x are better. I know alot of guys prefer 10x, but the shake makes a difference, and the 8's are just much easier to stabize by hand. It's hard to catch Movement if your picture of the world is a little shakey.

rclouse79

WKR
I operate on either end of your choices with 8x and 15x. I do most of my looking with the 8's, as bears really seem to pop when they are out and about. I would go for 10s and get the wider field of view.

Rock-o

WKR
I wouldn't go without a spotter but if I did I *think* I'd go with 12s. But absolutely you'll need a tripod. In which case you might as well bring a spotter. But if bringing a spotter than bring 10s.

Full circle clarity for ya?

My setup - 10x42 with a 15-45x65 (I'm probably in a minority here) and, of course, a tripod.