Spring bear closed - WA

The youth turkey hunt scheduled for April 4-5 is canceled. Six game management units that were scheduled to open on April 1 for spring bear hunting will now be closed pending further evaluation. Nearly 90 percent of spring bear permit holders in northeast Washington would be traveling from outside the area.

Youth who were planning to hunt on April 4 or 5 may still use their tags in the regular spring or fall turkey seasons, pending further impacts. The spring turkey season is scheduled to run April 15 through May 31.

On April 6, WDFW will reassess its ability to open the impacted hunting areas, as well as several other upcoming hunting seasons.
A limited number of open hunting seasons that are winding down or have limited participation that does not create the same public health concerns remain open.

Vandy321

WKR
This is getting rediculous....Good luck Wash residents, remember this at the ballot box in Nov.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
I'm in an area that will be overrun run shortly by all the city folk coming to hunt Bear. I hate to say I do sorta understand the cancellation of the Turkey hunt. Last 2 weekend we've been overrun as people come up to camp and get away from the city. With the closure of so many businesses, people are using the back of buildings as toilets, TP everywhere, its disgusting and its only getting worse. We didnt have any cases, how we have a number of them. If we are trying to stop the spread, cancelling attractions that promote people to travel is one method.

Personally I'd prefer they close the highways and let us hunt bears in peace. But that's an unlikely scenario.

OP
ilikeshootin
Thats awful!

I do understand the closure.

It said 90% coming from the westside....sorry, "out of the area"

That is where the majority of the cases are. Keeping the small communities safe should be a priority.

Maybe the only smart move I've ever seen WDFW make.

Over on the hunt Wa forum there is a lot of upset hunters. A lot of the uproar is the point and draw system. At this point if you can request a refund for points if the season remains closed. For some it's 4-8 years of putting in points for a draw and finally getting selected. I personally have put in for 5 years.

I wonder how many will go to Idaho instead.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
As much as we get spun up about the hunt, let's look at the bears. I have drawn the tag 3x and killed 3 bears. I have taken big fawn and calf eaters out of the equation.

Our herds are already taxed hard with predators and to lose the pressure on the bears during the calving season is going to hurt.

Perhaps they need to let local people hunt locally or consider dogs to keep it in check.

that sucks, especially for locals.... I feel for you guys. one thing you can do that will fill some time is get out with the FoxPro and call for lions

Over on the hunt Wa forum there is a lot of upset hunters. A lot of the uproar is the point and draw system. At this point if you do not request a refund for points by April 1st you lose them if the season does not open. For some it's 4-8 years of putting in points for a draw and finally getting selected. I personally have put in for 5 years.

I wonder how many will go to Idaho instead.

Not true. You can request your points back at anytime, including this Summer if they end up keeping it closed the whole season. I know this because I got drawn and it was in the E-Mail they sent me yesterday.

As much as we get spun up about the hunt, let's look at the bears. I have drawn the tag 3x and killed 3 bears. I have taken big fawn and calf eaters out of the equation.

Our herds are already taxed hard with predators and to lose the pressure on the bears during the calving season is going to hurt.

Perhaps they need to let local people hunt locally or consider dogs to keep it in check.

Agreed,
Not true. You can request your points back at anytime, including this Summer if they end up keeping it closed the whole season. I know this because I got drawn and it was in the E-Mail they sent me yesterday.

Ok that makes more sense. I misunderstood.

divingpa

FNG
As much as I believe strongly in having an annual bear hunt (minimum), youth hunts of every kind, I fully endorse whatever possibly solutions there are to stop the spread of COVID-19. This virus is no joke and WA has been hit very hard, they can use all the help they can get to slow the progression and heal. Yes is sucks for us hunters, but we are a small part of the big picture. Although I'm a non-resident, I own 154 acres in the Spokane area that I'm building my retirement home on, so I believe I have a say in the matter. I planned on coming up to my property to Turkey hunt and bear hunt in northern ID...I'm okay if I have to take a year off and I hope most others would be as well.

They didn't have a problem taking my spring bear application money though. Getting more and more frustrated with WDFW.