Spring Bear Hunt?

shaun

WKR
How many people are planning on a spring bear hunt this year. With the kid showing up this December I wasn't able to hunt AZ this year and an throwing around a solo trip to Idaho or somewhere since there isn't anyone I kno that is willing to go

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish CA had a spring bear hunt. It certainly fills in the gap between January and August.

Craig4791

WKR
I'll be going to Idaho a couple times for spring bear. My current hunting partner is moving to Idaho this month (It's cool because it opens up a lot more great hunting to us but sucks to lose a good hunting partner, not many ppl are into it on our level lol). He's going to scout it out for us and hopefully get some good areas figured out.

OP
shaun

shaun

WKR
Craig you are right it does suck but like you said opens up opportunity

Yeti

FNG
Last spring I saw the biggest bear I had ever seen while fishing here on Shasta lake would have loved to have taken him. I will try to post a picture

Craig4791

WKR
I wish CA had a spring bear hunt. It certainly fills in the gap between January and August.

Sure would be nice! Especially since they have taken away hounds. IMO they need to do something to make up for the lost take with hounds maybe a spring quota and a fall quota the same way they manage it now just without hounds.

Probably will never happen though it's way to logical.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hounds getting eliminated is just a step to get rid of all hunting in CA. That is their ultimate goal.

sneek-ee

WKR
My wife should draw San Juan this spring for bear. Looking forward to that!
Shaun, you got a place planned to go in Idaho, or are you just wanting to try it out. Me and a buddy will be heading up late may early june depending on how quick it warms up and snow pack. the non resident tags are pretty cheap (35) so that makes it nice.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We will be be chasing both black bears and grizz this spring...course spring for us doesn't usually start until at least the end of April, and we will likely hunt black bears into the first week in June...we have awhile to wait :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yep both grizz and black bears are open year round in many places so really we are bear hunting all summer if we so choose.

magpie

Banned
I chase bears every spring but when it comes down to it I just can't pull the trigger. But it's fun going out after them!

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I'm undecided this year ..I'm thinking of hunting Turkeys this year with my daughter under the mentored youth hunt we have here. But its easy to say now my problem with our spring tag is work starts to really pick.up.speed during the best time to hunt so I haven't been able to hunt that much in the last few years !

OP
shaun

shaun

WKR
My wife should draw San Juan this spring for bear. Looking forward to that!
Shaun, you got a place planned to go in Idaho, or are you just wanting to try it out. Me and a buddy will be heading up late may early june depending on how quick it warms up and snow pack. the non resident tags are pretty cheap (35) so that makes it nice.

No I dont have a place planned yet I am throwing around the idea pretty hevily. We just bought a new Lodrill Excavator from a company out of Idaho and the sales guy supposively hunts so I was thinking about picking his brain. IDK kinda torn right now on what to do

Beastmode

WKR
No I dont have a place planned yet I am throwing around the idea pretty hevily. We just bought a new Lodrill Excavator from a company out of Idaho and the sales guy supposively hunts so I was thinking about picking his brain. IDK kinda torn right now on what to do

What do you do for work Shaun?

OP
shaun

shaun

WKR
I am a project manager for a large utility construction company we build electrical substations tower lines etc. was out pounding nails for years now I push a pencil haha

Beastmode

WKR
I am a project manager for a large utility construction company we build electrical substations tower lines etc. was out pounding nails for years now I push a pencil haha

I figured something like that when you asked about the sub in roseville. I am a transmission lineman for pg&e.