Spring bear hunting

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning on doing some bear hunting this spring here in Idaho, I'm thinking my best bet would be high elevation grassy slopes.
Where are guys typically finding bears in May?

Elevation isn't too big of a factor for me. The bear bio that I know and respect didn't think elevation mattered much. I think targeting the green up is huge. The bears like some cover nearby. Hitting an area before all slopes are green helps narrow down the country but ultimately it's mostly a glassing game if you're not baiting or running hounds.

I'm happy to share more specific info via PM.

crossone

FNG
Hikker’s advise is good. It isn’t so much about elevation. Spring comes to different elevations at different times every year so what you’re looking for is late April to mid-May and green. Once things start to green up down low sometimes you’ll find bears more concentrated in lower elevations. Of course getting to the higher elevations is typically difficult due to deep drifts in higher elevations so my info could be skewed because it’s so hard to get up high when the roads are a mixture of dry gravel and deep drifts.

Cross

From my experience of hunting the Selway-Bitterroot area for spring bear, you aren't getting very high in May. This year I am flying in on June 15th. I'm basically learning by trial and error, 1 week a year at a time.