Spring Bear Idaho

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
hey guys posting as I am looking at a spring bear hunt in idaho this year!
we are currently debating zones 10/10a -12 and maybe 20/21 love hear yalls thoughts and experience!

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome to the forum! Have you looked at the long running thread in the bear section? Take a look and see if it answers your questions.

OP
lhbackcountry

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Rob,
I did and was able to pick and glean some information! I actually have used rokslide for years but never made an account so decided to take the plunge into the dark! No, I am really excited for this trip but curious on peoples success/failure etc...

I am not basing my success on a bear kill. My goal is to be enjoy mother nature, see how well the backcountry / backpack camping does and if it comes together great! If not, I walk away with memories and hopefully some teaching moments for next time

Are you planning spot and stalk, baiting, or hound hunting?

Also, snow is a limitation on how far you will get in some units. Bear in my avatar is one from 10A.

OP
lhbackcountry

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Are you planning spot and stalk, baiting, or hound hunting?

Also, snow is a limitation on how far you will get in some units. Bear in my avatar is one from 10A.
Hey Naches,
We are currently looking into zone 10a/10/12/27! Spot and stalk is the main method with a spike camp set up. There is 5 of us currently so thinking two different groups for glassing different areas. This is my second bear trip and first out west. Our dates in mind are late may early june ? Hopefully catch start of rut ( is my understanding there)

Elknutty

FNG
Your unit choices go from one extreme to the other from an access point of view.
10a has a lot of logging roads and clear cuts, while 27 being true backcountry very few roads and mostly trails close to motorized. 10 and 12 fall somewhere in between. You should look at the harvest stats for any of these units.
10a you will have to buy a regular bear tag $231.75. While the other units you mentioned, you can buy a reduced bear tag for $41.75, and in those same units, you can buy 2 bear tags, while only 1 in 10a.
I hope this helps.

Curious if you made it out/how it went. I have a trip on the 17th and have been going back forth over units for a while. I have some areas in 39 picked out but am concerned about overall hunting pressure. I’ve also been looking at 12. (I based this interest mostly on harvest reports and escouting) I’m a nonresident so I haven’t been able to get on the ground and this will be my first time hunting in Idaho. If anybody has any tips I’d appreciate it. Some of the other threads have definitely given me some good pointers.