Spring Bear in Idaho

Has anyone done this? Is it worth the trip? My brother just asked me if I wanted to go next spring and it’s definitely intriguing. I’m in West Virginia so it’s quite a drive and I’d like to see if people think it’s worth the time/money. Obviously we have bear here too, but it’d be cool to see some new country. I just wanted to see how people have done or if there’s any reason to avoid it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

WKR
Timing has to be spot on. You could drive out and find that the snow pack hasn’t melted and you’re not going anywhere near your hunting area.

KineKilla

WKR
I hunted spring bear in Idaho this spring. I had bought the hunt package from an outfitter (Ridgerunner Outfitters) at one of our RMEF banquets.

We hunted over bait for a week. We had a 50% success rate in camp. If you want their information or want any details hit me up.

OP
A
Timing has to be spot on. You could drive out and find that the snow pack hasn’t melted and you’re not going anywhere near your hunting area.

Thanks for that tip. I’ve never been west of Wisconsin (and that was in the middle of the summer), so I have no idea what things like that to look out for.

OP
A
I hunted spring bear in Idaho this spring. I had bought the hunt package from an outfitter (Ridgerunner Outfitters) at one of our RMEF banquets.

We hunted over bait for a week. We had a 50% success rate in camp. If you want their information or want any details hit me up.

That might be who my brother wanted to do the hunt through. He said he’s talked to an outfitter but he didn’t say who yet. Did you have much activity at the bait sites?

Big Dunc

FNG
I went over from Oregon this past spring. What an awesome experience!!! My plans were changed when the week I chose to go received 3+ inches of rain. It's a good thing I waited. On the drive in the road was washed out and we had to camp a mile or so from our intended camp. After talking to some other folks I learned that road washed out mid week during the rain. If I would have gone the week before I would have been stuck back there. I shot a beautiful blonde sow the first day. We saw another blonde the next day and heard another bear (at least we thought). It would take either a guide or trial and error to be successful. Ill tell you though it was a hell of a way to spend a birthday!!!

jdmaxwell

WKR
Went to Idaho this spring for first time.
Will be back every year.
If you love hiking alot, having bear, lion, and wolf tags in your pocket then certain units in Idaho will fit in.