Spring Bear Montana

CiK01

WKR
I have heard that planning a spring bear hunt can be impacted by snowpack levels/trends. Is there a good indicator in that data that suggests when melt off is? I have flexible time off and would like to time it right. Just looking for pointers on what to look for in this years snowpack data or in historical data. This will be my first time taking a swing at this.

Thanks for any and all pointers/advice.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skierhs

WKR
There are a few options at this. Snotel sites are essentially remote weather stations that have historic snow height tables at thier exact location which should give you a good idea of past history. The best option is local knowledge, in Missoula we’ve been getting hit with a decent amount. Not a lot at one time but it’s been slowly building every day it seams like for the last week. Third is picking a time in middle to late may and hoping for the best.

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
There are a few options at this. Snotel sites are essentially remote weather stations that have historic snow height tables at thier exact location which should give you a good idea of past history. The best option is local knowledge, in Missoula we’ve been getting hit with a decent amount. Not a lot at one time but it’s been slowly building every day it seams like for the last week. Third is picking a time in middle to late may and hoping for the best.

Thank you! I will work on finding some good sources of local knowledge once I get a general idea of where I land out there. I don't like the 3rd option....too much left to chance for my liking.

skierhs

WKR
Thank you! I will work on finding some good sources of local knowledge once I get a general idea of where I land out there. I don't like the 3rd option....too much left to chance for my liking.
Feel free to PM me with any questions you have as well. The third option is what I tell guys that have flexible schedules because its easier for them to move up a week or back two weeks if need be yet also start to plan around a specific week instead of all of May or first half of June.

RBHunter

WKR
I agree with the above. From Missoula as well. Some years you can go everywhere by Easter. Some you cannot get out of the bottom. As far as this year goes unless something changes it will be open to access pretty early. Running roads west of me looking for cats and the snowpack is not super deep. Last year it was right about memorial day that seemed killer.

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Thanks guys. I have flexible timing. I don't have to lock into anything until a 2-3 weeks out so I can wait to decide up to near the season opener. If the snow still looks to be an issue, I can push it back as the season goes.

Snotel data looks like its a bit under average so far for the year.

Huntindog

FNG
Right. And as was said above feel free to reach out with a PM for more detailed info.
RB hunter I am trying to PM you but it does not give me that option? I was just wondering what you thought about this springs time frame for bears. I was looking at May 15th or so?

skierhs

WKR
RB hunter I am trying to PM you but it does not give me that option? I was just wondering what you thought about this springs time frame for bears. I was looking at May 15th or so?
That looks to be when it’s gonna start getting good. I think the weeked following the 15th is when it’s gonna get really going just from where I’ve been able to get into and haven’t been able to get into

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I can't say what it's like on the east side of the divide but around Elliston we are seeing a good melt right now. There is still a couple of feet here and there on the mountains but most of the south and west slopes are pretty free of snow.

Huntindog

FNG
That looks to be when it’s gonna start getting good. I think the weeked following the 15th is when it’s gonna get really going just from where I’ve been able to get into and haven’t been able to get into
Thank you for the feedback, I am looking at going around Victor MT

Good morning fellas, I'm headed to Montana for my first spring bear hunt the last week in may. Bringing my 12 year old on his first out of state hunt. Any unit suggestions for hunting with the little guy? Thanks

grizz1971

FNG
Another thing to think about is looking at the hunting districts that overlap grizz habitat. Keystone44, especially with you having your son with you.

grizz1971

FNG
RB, thanks for your input there. I should have been more specific and not stated habitat but rather those hunting districts east of the divide in Regions 4, 5 and 7 where the likliehood of running into a grizz is pretty slim.

Another thing to think about is looking at the hunting districts that overlap grizz habitat. Keystone44, especially with you having your son with you.
Appreciate the heads up Grizz. We're gonna truck camp and day hunt. Definitely keep our eyes peeled for grizz.