Spring Bear Montana

Mike8989

FNG
Looking into doing my first spring bear hunt in Montana in May. Does anyone have any experiences in unit 316 pioneer mountains or in the Printlers. What's the hunting pressure like? I would think this unit gets less hunting pressure than 216 and 200?

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You might get some hunting pressure out of Missoula, but in general hunting pressure during the spring bear season is relatively minimal. There are a pile of bears in that area of the state. A good spotting scope will be your best friend for spring bears; they can be very difficult to judge!

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I would bet you wouldn’t see a soul if you got off the roads in the Pintlars

OP
Mike8989

Mike8989

FNG
Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards the Printlers. How are the Grizzley's in that area?

netman

WKR
I hunted that area for four days last year in late May. I seen sign but no bears. I was hunting the timber areas looking for openings and rock slides. I found a good area but it was a very long walk.
I never saw another hunter.
I called my buddy who lives not far from where I was hunting and he suggested I move camp and get to the open sage flats.
I moved camp. I rode around the first evening and with my spotting scope I seen a moose with a new born, baby mule deer, baby antelope and small elk out in the sage.
Next morning way before sunrise my wife and I hiked about a mile or two off the main road. At sunrise we seen a couple antelope running wide open. Behind them was a cinnamon bear that I made a 30 yard shot dripping him in his tracks.
Lesson I learned you need to be able to see.

OP
Mike8989

Mike8989

FNG
Was that the only bear you seen in the sage flat country? My back up hunt plan included some sage flat country but my primary focus so far was in the high country.

dyllanmurray

Lil-Rokslider
There have been a few reports of grizzlies in the Pintlers, but nothing like the Bob or GYE. The Pintlers would be an awesome spot to spring bear hunt! Good luck!

slick

WKR
I hunted it the last two springs and gave up. Bear sign but glassing big country was hard, you were pretty well choked into one basin, and getting up and over with all the snow pack is more challenging than you’d think.

If you go, go late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also looking to get out west to do my first spring bear hunt. I am looking around the Missoula area as well. Going to be the western hunt for me and my brother. Any tips would be appreciated.

dyllanmurray

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah that’s no joke, I have been told since I run a Seek Outside tipi that the nest insert or a bug Bivy should be a must.
You should snag a piece of tyvek and use it for your floor. Can't promise it'll keep all the ticks out, but it should help and it's durable enough that it won't rip terribly easy.

You should snag a piece of tyvek and use it for your floor. Can't promise it'll keep all the ticks out, but it should help and it's durable enough that it won't rip terribly easy.
Yeah currently I have a piece of tyvek that I formed into a small bathroom style ground sheet. But have gotten into ticks before with the current setup, and it gets annoying constantly picking them off. I did get the LBO nest to try out and thinking it may be worth the small amount of extra weight

Yeah currently I have a piece of tyvek that I formed into a small bathroom style ground sheet. But have gotten into ticks before with the current setup, and it gets annoying constantly picking them off. I did get the LBO nest to try out and thinking it may be worth the small amount of extra weight
Is it possible you are bringing them back with you after a hunt? I've found them buried in my clothes and gear, even after I thought I had thoroughly checked everything.

Glass until the sun is down and have your gun ready. If it happens it happens fast! Especially in thicker cover areas!