Spring Bear Questions

archp625

WKR
Well, slipped on the ice on Wed and doctor thinks it’s a torn ACL. If that’s true, I’m going to have to wait until next spring or find a more forgiving unit....

Western - that’s good intel, thanks for sharing. I spoke with two biologists this week, one who told me to avoid the Middle Fork (tougher, lower probability hunt but great country/experience) and one who hunts it every year and has done well. The one who hunts regularly says snow is a non-issue if you fly in and encouraged us to go for it. Very rarely sees another individual while out there so must be more/less popular air strips. Transporters are probably the only ones with visibility into that.
Dang man, not good. Hope for a speedy recovery. I fell two weeks ago, not on ice, and broke my arm. Once it heals I plan on hitting the hills to get in better shape for Idaho.

Well, slipped on the ice on Wed and doctor thinks it’s a torn ACL. If that’s true, I’m going to have to wait until next spring or find a more forgiving unit....
Don't lose hope just yet. I think with good luck on the surgery and hitting the PT super hard, you could be ready to go in May. Get your doc to prescribe a good brace for extra security.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
My brother lives a few hours away from the unit. So I’ll be having him keep an eye on the weather and talk with pilots about snow build up. I’m going for bears and my brother is going to fish. I’ll be bringing to tipi and stove just in case of weather. Iv only been in Idaho during September so spring is going to be a new adventure

OP
GnarlesBarkley
T
Don't lose hope just yet. I think with good luck on the surgery and hitting the PT super hard, you could be ready to go in May. Get your doc to prescribe a good brace for extra security.
Thanks, should know this week what the gameplan is when images come back. Bear hunt would be good motivation for rehab!

OP
GnarlesBarkley
New ACL and part of Meniscus removed. Locked out in the brace for a week and then will let me bend 90 degrees. Told me May is aggressive but could be doable if no hiccups. Likely going to put in for MT elk now and if I draw, defer to the bear hunt to next spring. If I don’t and end up with general tag, will make a game time call on refund/go to idaho or keeping it for the fall hunt.

Appreciate everyone’s input here and in other threads.

OP
GnarlesBarkley
New ACL and part of Meniscus removed. Locked out in the brace for a week and then will let me bend 90 degrees. Told me May is aggressive but could be doable if no hiccups. Likely going to put in for MT elk now and if I draw, defer to the bear hunt to next spring. If I don’t and end up with general tag, will make a game time call on refund/go to idaho or keeping it for the fall hunt.

Appreciate everyone’s input here and in other threads.
...or maybe the wife will feel sorry for me and let me do both :)

Lots of bears here in west WY
No need to fly in and can shoot wolves without a tag
As a non-resident would it be a waste of time to hunt Area 25 in the non-wilderness portions? I want to check out the area because I was considering putting in for a Elk Type 2 tag in Area 51 (Valid north and east of the Clarks Fork River).