Spring bear spot & stalk

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I am a fairly experienced hunter but this is my first time trying out spring bear. I live in Utah and will be doing a harvest objective permit (any legal weapon) and competing with the houndsmen. For all of you experienced bear hunters what are some things I should be looking for and doing to find success? Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Absolutely love spot & stalk spring bear hunting. This time of year, with the weather you can experience, to the wildlife you see it is so different from what you'd see in the autumn seasons. My experience is to find areas of open hillsides, interspersed with timber and brushy draws that provide bedding areas for bears. Also be familiar with what bears might be feeding on this time of year and where to find that food source. From grasses to wild onions to elk calves, bears can be eating almost anything this time of year, and IMO, the best way to find them is to find a good vantage point, get comfortable, glass for them and then make your move when you find the bear you want.
Good luck and post pictures!

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely love spot & stalk spring bear hunting. This time of year, with the weather you can experience, to the wildlife you see it is so different from what you'd see in the autumn seasons. My experience is to find areas of open hillsides, interspersed with timber and brushy draws that provide bedding areas for bears. Also be familiar with what bears might be feeding on this time of year and where to find that food source. From grasses to wild onions to elk calves, bears can be eating almost anything this time of year, and IMO, the best way to find them is to find a good vantage point, get comfortable, glass for them and then make your move when you find the bear you want.
Good luck and post pictures!

Thank you for the great advice.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am a fairly experienced hunter but this is my first time trying out spring bear. I live in Utah and will be doing a harvest objective permit (any legal weapon) and competing with the houndsmen. For all of you experienced bear hunters what are some things I should be looking for and doing to find success? Any advice is appreciated thanks.
I would be hoping that enough snow melts to put in a good hunt before the season ends. Stupid dates on Utah spring bear hunts. Just like some of their extended archery zones that are all private. It's a hunt, technically, but that's about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I would be hoping that enough snow melts to put in a good hunt before the season ends. Stupid dates on Utah spring bear hunts. Just like some of their extended archery zones that are all private. It's a hunt, technically, but that's about it.

The harvest objective is March 30-May 31 which I feel is pretty fair considering most of the units will shut down due to fill quotas.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The harvest objective is March 30-May 31 which I feel is pretty fair considering most of the units will shut down due to fill quotas.
Good luck. Still tons of snow that shut down a lot of country til June. They want bears killed, they need realistic dates.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, I've got one of those tags too. I do agree about the dates. If there's a quota, they might want to extend the dates to increase the odds of actually getting close to the quota. The units with the highest quotas have not reached more than 50 percent of the quota for at least ten years. But, I'll still get out for the sake of having something to hunt and being out there. Good thing I've got snowshoes!

Wrench

WKR
Green grass. They eat grass faster than a cow. Find green young stuff with some potential escapement....you'll have bears.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Have any of you guys successfully used distress calls? Maybe after locating a bear but using them to close the distance?

Wrench

WKR
Have any of you guys successfully used distress calls? Maybe after locating a bear but using them to close the distance?
I have. It works, but make sure you are not so close as to be able to be pinned down. When they come in and know where the sound came from, they come fast and hard. If you're 200 yards out....it's cool to watch, if you're 60....be ready for action.

WTFJohn

WKR
This guy's book is very much in favor of distress calls. I haven't been successful with it yet but I will be trying this fall - NY, bow, no baiting allowed.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Black-Bear-Hunting/dp/1510709797

I read this book prior to 2018 CO bear season; the info in it led me to some fantastic bear country with lots of fresh sign and plenty of bears. I called in a bear semi-unknowingly that some other hunters shot a few hundred yards behind me, then went and closed the distance on another bear to 20 yds and filled my tag. I would definitely recommend the book if you're starting out bear hunting. The author is also semi-active on Rokslide.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome guys, thanks for the good knowledge. This hunt has me very excited to hopefully put my hands on my first bear.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking into the harvest objective hunt for spring 2020. How did you hunt go in 2019?

The hunt was a blast and probably my favorite of last year. Lots of evenings and some mornings glassing, lots of game spotted, beautiful time of year to be out. I managed to miss my first bear at long range. He was a big jet black, would have been a great one. I also passed on a small immature cinnamon.
I only saw the two but learned a lot and will be doing it again this year. I will say everything you read in terms of tactics and behavior I found to be spot on. Good luck!

Bshiftbc

FNG
I read this book prior to 2018 CO bear season; the info in it led me to some fantastic bear country with lots of fresh sign and plenty of bears. I called in a bear semi-unknowingly that some other hunters shot a few hundred yards behind me, then went and closed the distance on another bear to 20 yds and filled my tag. I would definitely recommend the book if you're starting out bear hunting. The author is also semi-active on Rokslide.
Doug's book is awesome a highly recommended!

mgebs311

FNG
The hunt was a blast and probably my favorite of last year. Lots of evenings and some mornings glassing, lots of game spotted, beautiful time of year to be out. I managed to miss my first bear at long range. He was a big jet black, would have been a great one. I also passed on a small immature cinnamon.
I only saw the two but learned a lot and will be doing it again this year. I will say everything you read in terms of tactics and behavior I found to be spot on. Good luck!

Did you end up doing a decent amount of distress calling and glassing or more so just glassing for bears feeding on vegetation in good pockets?