Spring Bear ticks?

Im headed out on my first western hunt (DIY) for spring bear in NW Montana in mid may. My question is gear related. I know ticks can be bad and I have a floorless Seek Outside tent my buddy and I will be using. Will I need the nest with the bug netting to avoid issues with ticks while in the tent? Thanks in advance!

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
I doubt you would have ticks actively seeking you out while you sleep, but I would definitely sleep better with the nest. Treat your clothing with permethrin prior to the trip and wear gaiters (even the small ankle high ones) to keep them from climbing up and digging into your sock lines

Wrench

WKR
Spring in the woods means ticks. That's just part of the game. I just check and pull them off. You'll get 8 million on you when you roll the hide up.

I'd do what I could to reduce the risk of getting Lyme disease. This includes permethrin, gaiters, nest, etc.

Unlike the midwest, the ticks stay from snowmelt to the first week of 80 degrees (usually late June or July) but they don't come back.

Never seen one in a tent, but if you are in the trees, 3-10 a day. Legs, neck, crotch, belly button - pay attention. If you feel something crawling it probably is. They are not as fast as duck lice but they are steady. They like some people more than others.

MHWASH

WKR
I doubt you would have ticks actively seeking you out while you sleep, but I would definitely sleep better with the nest. Treat your clothing with permethrin prior to the trip and wear gaiters (even the small ankle high ones) to keep them from climbing up and digging into your sock lines
I’ve seen them crawling on the outside of the netting of my tent before.

Do any of you bring backpacking chairs on bear hunts? Trying to decide if it's an effective way to get less ticks or if it's not worth the weight.

Do any of you bring backpacking chairs on bear hunts? Trying to decide if it's an effective way to get less ticks or if it's not worth the weight.
If glassing, then yes. There are some lightweight options (sub two pounds) that don't take up much pack space (ex: BTR stool).

Otherwise you can use permethrin on your clothes (best option). Can use gaiters and ensure all clothes are tucked in as well.

MHWASH

WKR
I use a pad for my comfort. Most ticks get on you as your walking through brush/grass. Basically they just hang there waiting for something to walk by.

Ticks are unavoidable - I got colorado tick fever a few years ago from a spring bear hunt. Worst few weeks of my life. We stay in hotels now so we can do a thorough tick check every night. Will never sleep with ticks again.

Ticks aren't that bad were I live.

To those of you that use premethrin and the like do you not also worry about what that posion is doing to you?

Or are there just so meny ticks it makes worrying about health issues 10 - 20 years + down the line less of a priority?

Do you weigh it up?

I'd get the internal net for sure.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
Ticks aren't that bad were I live.

To those of you that use premethrin and the like do you not also worry about what that posion is doing to you?

Or are there just so meny ticks it makes worrying about health issues 10 - 20 years + down the line less of a priority?

Do you weigh it up?

I'd get the internal net for sure.

I don't worry about it. There are hundreds of tick related illnesses every year. I have yet to see a Permethrin related illness.

rclouse79

WKR
Last year me and a buddy went in with llamas and each camped in our own Cimmaron for spring bear season. He had a nest and I had a bivy sack. The zipper on my bivy failed after the trip, but if it had gone out during the trip I would have left early because the ticks were so bad. I ended up buying a cheap little two man tent for this year, because I think if weighs quite a bit less than the cimmaron, pole and a nest. I wanted to have a bigger tick free zone where I could check myself for those little blood sucking devils. I love spring bear season enough to put up with the ticks, but they are almost enough to make choose fishing instead.

Ticks are unavoidable - I got colorado tick fever a few years ago from a spring bear hunt. Worst few weeks of my life. We stay in hotels now so we can do a thorough tick check every night. Will never sleep with ticks again.
I have had 3 ticks so far in the last 7 days. 2 of them i pulled off of me, after my morning piss. And this is in my own bed in my house.