Spring Bear ticks?

I don't worry about it. There are hundreds of tick related illnesses every year. I have yet to see a Permethrin related illness.
It kills animals small enough by weight that just touch it.
It absorbs though skin, and water soluble meaning if you spray your clothes, then sweat it'll absorb into your skin.

It kills by attacking the nervous system in insects and in cats.
In larger mammals it's caused death by liver failure which is suggestive of a number of things.
The simplest being that the liver failure was due to trying to process the poison out.
Organs don't work in isolation though, and the way it works in smaller animals is attacking the nervous system, so brain down.
Lesser symptoms are the runs and diarrhea, so again trying to eliminate the poison.
Respiratory issues also.

They're just the known and publicly admitted issues.

I don't worry about it. There are hundreds of tick related illnesses every year. I have yet to see a Permethrin related illness.

Im headed out on my first western hunt (DIY) for spring bear in NW Montana in mid may. My question is gear related. I know ticks can be bad and I have a floorless Seek Outside tent my buddy and I will be using. Will I need the nest with the bug netting to avoid issues with ticks while in the tent? Thanks in advance!
What do use as a ground sheet? If at all porous, I would probably spray it down with sawyers and call it good… if not porous, I would spray the outside of my bag

I will add, I camp in the spring in tick areas and have not taken any precautions, I will do the above if I ever have problems, but unless you are setting up your tent on some tick haven meadow, you probably won’t have an issue

I always set my tent up in the trees

I haven't run into many turkey hunting this spring. That being said I was talking with my neighbor last night who took a kid bear hunting this weekend and he said even getting out of the truck to take a leak and they had multiple ticks crawling on their pant legs.

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
It kills animals small enough by weight that just touch it.
It absorbs though skin, and water soluble meaning if you spray your clothes, then sweat it'll absorb into your skin.

It kills by attacking the nervous system in insects and in cats.
In larger mammals it's caused death by liver failure which is suggestive of a number of things.
The simplest being that the liver failure was due to trying to process the poison out.
Organs don't work in isolation though, and the way it works in smaller animals is attacking the nervous system, so brain down.
Lesser symptoms are the runs and diarrhea, so again trying to eliminate the poison.
Respiratory issues also.

They're just the known and publicly admitted issues.
I am not a doctor by any means. And I completely agree that it is poison. But deet will melt plastic on touch. Humans spray that stuff directly on their skin like its perfume. Permethrin is acceptable for use on the family pet..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220504-071153_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220504-071153_Google.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 14
I am not a doctor by any means. And I completely agree that it is poison. But deet will melt plastic on touch. Humans spray that stuff directly on their skin like its perfume. Permethrin is acceptable for use on the family pet..
On dogs yes, but you can overdose them.
It can kill cats that come into contact with treated dogs, via seizures.
Something about a cat's nervous system that makes them more sensitive to it.

Each person must decide for them if the juice is worth the squeeze in any given situation.

If I moved or was in a more tick infested area I might also use it, to.
Ticks and parasites in general aren't pleasant, and the viruses ticks carry are potentially very serious and sometimes, for some people life long.

I find it interesting that noone talks to much about the potential for negatives though, except that you should let it dry on your clothes before you wear them.

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
On dogs yes, but you can overdose them.
It can kill cats that come into contact with treated dogs, via seizures.
Something about a cat's nervous system that makes them more sensitive to it.

Each person must decide for them if the juice is worth the squeeze in any given situation.

If I moved or was in a more tick infested area I might also use it, to.
Ticks and parasites in general aren't pleasant, and the viruses ticks carry are potentially very serious and sometimes, for some people life long.

I find it interesting that noone talks to much about the potential for negatives though, except that you should let it dry on your clothes before you wear them.
Do you know of a natural alternative that might work close to as good? I'd be willing to try it if you do.

Do you know of a natural alternative that might work close to as good? I'd be willing to try it if you do.
No I don't, for flying bugs yes but not ticks.
I don't have a desire to be popping antibiotics either due to their side effects and past issues with antibiotics when I had septicemia, (unrelated, cut at work).

I did listen to Daniel Vitalis 's podcast episode about ticks that was interesting.
He lives in Main, and I have family in Vermont.
Their natural method being a 2-4 week danger zone, (depending on climate and region) and to limit your exposure practically during that time and all over tick checks twice a day, which will mean limiting your risk of viral expose if you are bitten.
So steady vigilance.

His pod on ticks is worth a listen.

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
No I don't, for flying bugs yes but not ticks.
I don't have a desire to be popping antibiotics either due to their side effects and past issues with antibiotics when I had septicemia, (unrelated, cut at work).

I did listen to Daniel Vitalis 's podcast episode about ticks that was interesting.
He lives in Main, and I have family in Vermont.
Their natural method being a 2-4 week danger zone, (depending on climate and region) and to limit your exposure practically during that time and all over tick checks twice a day, which will mean limiting your risk of viral expose if you are bitten.
So steady vigilance.

His pod on ticks is worth a listen.
I found this video and learned a few things that I did not know. Check it out.

Wrench

WKR
My buddy just about lost his dog last week to ticks. It acted off, they found some ticks. They pulled them all and it was no better....so to the vet who hit it with Frontline.....then the dog crashed. They bailed for WSU vet center where a tick was found deep in the ear. They pulled it and gave the oral tick med also. A couple days later all is well.

Shave your junk and wear your gaiters.

PSA - My buddy recently got out of the hospital for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and was just doing misc. logging etc around his property.

Definitely take precautions while enjoying life out there.

So the short answer is…

Pick your “poison”:
No chemicals (on you and/or clothes) and risk an assortment of diseases.

OR

Use chemicals (on you and/or your clothes) and risk an assortment of diseases.

OR
Do not go into any environment that may contain ticks but still risk an assortment of diseases not associated with ticks and/or their control.

MHWASH

WKR
Take all the precautions you want, It's damn near impossible to keep ticks off of you, unless you stay inside, maybe!

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Foxtails and ticks ... it must be spring!

Has anyone else noticed that the docs are less med happy with antibiotic prophylaxis? A few years ago, it seemed like they'd hit you with a monster 1-2 day course after the tick/s was/were removed. Now the move is "wait and see" for the red bullseye of doom.

I also feel like they no longer send the ticks to the CDC ... but maybe that has less to do with changes in policy and more to do with limited testing bandwidth in light of other public health lab challenges.