Spring Bear

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
There is an area ive elk hunted a few times and typically see good bear sign in certain areas. One drainage in particular seems to hold bears in the fall. Killed a few elk and every time ive come back to the carcass there is a bear on it. Would these bears travel far in the spring compared to where they are in the fall? I wouldn't say the area has a high bear density but every time there has been a carcass there will be a bear on it. Thinking it would be a good starting point. Looking for thoughts and feedback on this

What state and time of year do you hunt? In general, areas with bears in the fall will hold bears in the spring. But, if you're hunting archery there could be some movement between where you see them and where they den and they prowl around chomping down on greenup. The places where I hunt deer and elk hold bears in the fall and spring and if you found a fall hotspot, I'd probably take a look in the spring. Colorado doesn't have a spring season. The issue though is if it's Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho you often can't get into the higher elevations where people deer and elk hunt in the fall during spring bear because of impassable snowed in roads.

I would love to read a study or some scientific literature on this.

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
The time frame I have seen them is early September through early October. So its certainly later in the year, but not considered close to when they den up for the year? A lot of variables im sure will dictate this. The weather in the spring and snow pack is something I hadnt really considered yet. Makes a lot of sense to be worried about access. Earliest ive spent time in this area is mid July. Ive always seen flipped rocks on ridge lines and scat throughout areas during the summer as well. (July and August).
Later someone waits to go out for better roads, may take away from better hunting?

Denning is going to happen late October-early November. Better spring bear hunting is normally May to early June in some areas. Access is going to be limited to get into a lot of higher elevations then. It really depends on the area but that's speaking with a broad brush.

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. Trying to wrap my head around a spring bear hunt. Seeing them in this area each fall ive been there has me thinking its a good spot. Not to compare them to elk or deer but every area I hunt for them it will vary with the season. This area might be good for a fall bear hunt only.

The time frame I have seen them is early September through early October. So its certainly later in the year, but not considered close to when they den up for the year? A lot of variables im sure will dictate this. The weather in the spring and snow pack is something I hadnt really considered yet. Makes a lot of sense to be worried about access. Earliest ive spent time in this area is mid July. Ive always seen flipped rocks on ridge lines and scat throughout areas during the summer as well. (July and August).
Later someone waits to go out for better roads, may take away from better hunting?

The later you go in the spring the more of a chance to get a rubbed hide, if you are even looking for a good hide.

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
The later you go in the spring the more of a chance to get a rubbed hide, if you are even looking for a good hide.

Not much of a concern for the first time. Would be a great bonus but its not a priority for the hunt

- - - Updated - - -

Not the best picture and I may not be the best judge of size. This bear looked like a tank. View attachment 84316DSCN6088 - Copy.jpg
Nothing compared to these little guys

Attachments

• Bruin.jpg
    Bruin.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 33