Spring Bear

rclouse79

WKR
I had planned to backpack hunt this Friday and Saturday with a buddy. I decided to go to our usual spot solo on Thursday one last time. I glassed up a bear with a few hours of light left so I made a move to another ridge and got 240 yards away. I set up the tripod and saw what looked to be a big bear laying down behind a bush. I was bummed when I saw brown moving behind another bush. I figured it was going to be a sow with cubs, but when the bear that I thought was a cub stood up I saw it was a full adult. I don't know which was bigger, but they both looked nice to me. I had to wait about an hour for the big guy to stand up. He stepped out from the other side of a tree and I pulled the trigger. I saw one of the bears contouring around the hill. I figured it was a good sign that I didn't see two and headed over.
I was on full alert around the area where the bear was standing. I didn't see any blood and no bear. Then I saw tall bushes moving back and forth down the hill. To say I was I little hesitant to go in there by myself was an understatement. I ended up easing around to where I could see the bear at about 50 yards. I put two more rounds in him off hand and heard him roll down the the hill. I followed after and saw he stopped on a large tree. While I was checking him out I heard the other bear huffing in the bushes. It was tough to focus on the job and hand, but the 10 mm glock in my pocket made me feel a little better. Processing an animal by myself sure made be appreciate hunting with a buddy. I got all of the meat out in one load and made it home by 2:30 in the morning. Had my daughter jumping on me at 7 and headed back up for the hide and skull.

canvas.png

Last edited:

ahlgringo

WKR
Congratulations man, he looks like a bruiser!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Nice! What happened with the first shot? Less than ideal placement? Less than ideal bullet placement? Or just didn't give it enough time to "work"?
[/
Nice! What happened with the first shot? Less than ideal placement? Less than ideal bullet placement? Or just didn't give it enough time to "work"?
It looked like there were two shots in the chest when I cleaned him. Don’t know which was my original.