Spring bear

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Who all spring bear hunts on here? Y'all usually pretty successful? What's better early or late season? (I would eventually like to spring bear hunt every year and am trying to get all info I can)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
This podcast should answer many of your questions. Two seasoned spring bear hunters swapping tips and info.
The Rich Outdoors Podcast - Spring Bear

I'm a rookie spring bear hunter this year and I'll be hitting up the season in late May for 8 days. This is due largely to more bear activity later in the spring season and access to much of the country I want to hunt that is currently under lots of snow right now. Good luck in your research.

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Preciate it bro!! Any others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a spring bear hunter. Going to try and go scouting again this weekend. Tried last weekend and there was still too much snow....so we'll see.

RoJo

WKR
I'll be doing an archery spring bear hunt here in AZ starting May 5. It will be my first time hunting bear in the spring (I have done several fall bear hunts with a rifle, one successful), as well as my first backpack hunt. I am heading out this weekend for a 2-night scouting trip, which will also serve as a short shakedown cruise for my gear. Probably not much snow left in the Catalina Mountains where I'm going.

DDAM

FNG
Anyone from eastern Idaho around the Swan Valley have any input on their snow level in the mountains towards the palisades? Would appreciate any "eyes on deck" detail. I'm planning on hitting those area early May and trying to decide whether crampon/micro spikes will be needed.

Brendan

WKR
Thanks for that link Brendan.

I'm watching it too - make sure to check a couple different stations around where you're going at different altitudes. I'm using "Snow Depth, Current" and then pulling up the 30 day trend. There are areas where I'm looking that are bare in the valleys - but still have 5+ feet on the ground at elevation in certain spots.

Last edited:
I was going to go to the Swan Valley area this weekend to do some scouting until I called the Forest Service. The enforcement officer I spoke to said nearly all of the roads are still closed and will be for quite a while. He also said that Forest Service, F&G, and the sheriff's dept. will be patrolling the area heavily for the next few weeks watching for bear hunters and atv users violating travel restrictions. I assume travel will be tough for a while unless you use snowshoes, x - country skis, or a snowmobile.

DDAM

FNG
I was going to go to the Swan Valley area this weekend to do some scouting until I called the Forest Service. The enforcement officer I spoke to said nearly all of the roads are still closed and will be for quite a while. He also said that Forest Service, F&G, and the sheriff's dept. will be patrolling the area heavily for the next few weeks watching for bear hunters and atv users violating travel restrictions. I assume travel will be tough for a while unless you use snowshoes, x - country skis, or a snowmobile.

bluetick78, if you confirm visual and post up details on what you see in that region, would be awesome. I tried to get in contact with the biologist for that region but he was out of office today when I called. I'll try my luck again tomorrow and keep him on my phone like an ex GF ;)

Just curious, are these roads closed because of snow depth, or erosion concerns because of soft road beds? We have roads around here that are closed until may 1, that are usually just snow covered.

frankrb3

WKR
I was out elk shed hunting yesterday near where I plan on spring bear hunting. Lots of snow still at the elevation where I know there is a bear den. I was going to try to get up there for opener but I just don't think I will be able to. Hopefully by the end of the month, but that's probably not realistic either. Good advice in this thread about planning a trip near end of May/early June if that's what you're planning on doing.

I went out yesterday. Suck! All roads into all the places I know are closed. One road is completely gone....I mean gone! Just some culverts sticking out of the side of the hill. Gonna have to get creative.

I was out this weekend in NE Idaho and I couldn't get back into where I wanted to go as the roads were still a no go with snow. I will give it another try in two weeks if the weather stays warm out there. If so I should be able to get to the base of the mountains.