Spring Ptarmigan pics

Burke

FNG
Well the local season is winding down just as the snow is settling down enough to run the dogs with less energy and stress of injury. I am tempted to travel north to the land of the longer season, but I have a couple out of state trips that will interfere. This is such a great time of year to get out into ptarmigan country!
These pics are a mix of Denali Highway and local hunts. Lil' Joe has had the field to himself since Coal is in Idaho chasing chukar and quail (hopefully pointing a few too). Pie, at 14 years old is physically not up for running in the snow...she wants to go and it is hard to leave her at the door as we go.

OP
B

Burke

FNG

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb404/dhsweets/Hunting%20and%20fishing/IMG_0061.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a fun adventure! Your brittany obviously does well in the snow. Mine gets snow in his paws and starts biting at them after a while.

OP
B

Burke

FNG
thanks for the comments all! I highly recommend a dose of spring ptarmigan hunting with a dog for everyone!

Sounds like a fun adventure! Your brittany obviously does well in the snow. Mine gets snow in his paws and starts biting at them after a while.

Well depending on the snow conditions Joe will end up with ice balls in between his toes as well. I try to keep the feathers trim and that helps a little...I have tried booties and vaseline and they help a bit too. Mushers have some sort of ointment/creme they use called Mushers Secret, but havent tried it yet.They seem to lose the booties every time no matter how much I try to secure them.

OP
B

Burke

FNG
Beautiful! Some fine eating there! You ever pick up any White-taileds?

I do get into the whitetails on occasion...usually have to go a little higher or if snow depths are forcing them down I find them mixed in with others. They are all fun little birds...a challenge to get all three in an outing or a weekend.

I've never seen them within a mile or 2 of the Highway, but have only been there in summer. Last time I was up there, I saw an interpretive sign at a rest area that said all 3 species were there. Figured it was a winter phenomenon.
Would be fun to get an all-white ptarmigan in the hand!