Spring scouting elk

Hi all! New Rokslider here. I just moved to Colorado and will be going out for elk for the first time this year. The current plan is third season (Nov. 12-18) OTC rifle.

In all of the reading, watching, and listening about elk hunting that I have been doing for the past year or two, I can’t remember the topic of spring time scouting coming up much at all. A quick search on here also lacked any substantial discussion.

I was thinking that there’s got to be some usefulness in spring scouting as the temps and snow line begin to mirror the fall hunting. Though, I realize a whole bunch of other factors do not line up (moisture, feed, rut, etc.).

What have you done/observed in the spring time that has informed your hunting plans or elk behavior knowledge?

Huntnnw

WKR
Almost nothing about what you find in seeing elk in spring is going to correlate to where they are come Nov. Finding old rubs in areas may be more useful than actually turning up elk

Spring scouting doesn’t determine the location of fall elk. Seeing old rubs is likely the only piece of the puzzle you can expect to find. But I’ve seen areas loaded with rubs that for one reason or another were worthless that September. The main benefit of spring scouting is simply familiarizing your self with the lay of the land in that area. Plus it’s fun to hike the mountains after hibernating all winter! Good luck!

My experience is different in Colorado than the previous posters. I’ve hunted Colorado otc third season a few times. It’s definitely a migratory unit. The spots I’ve killed bulls I’ve always found sheds while hunting.

Obviously depending on the year the elk might be a little higher or lower but it’s nothing to cover 1000’-1500’ of elevation with glass while hunting.

If it was me I would be looking for bulls/sheds right now and mark their location. There is a good chance to find bulls again in the same general area during third season. Especially now since the season is later than when I hunted it.

87TT

WKR
Around here there are elk EVERYWHERE in the spring. Later they are around but hiding pretty good and usually higher and deeper.

Freeride

FNG
As stated RUBS!

Around here I know guys that scout and get all excited over elk poo, thing is they are finding wintering spots that the elk dump into about 2 months after the season ends. Don't get caught up on that...