Springbar tent with winnerwell stove

mmac

WKR
I was convinced on here to look at the Kodiak canvas, but after they told me they didn't recommend any heater in it,( someone said I was stupid for caring about fire risk, but as ex firefighter I do care) I looked around and saw the Springbar was offering a hot tent with stove. Pretty pricey, but seems I can buy as needed. Has anyone tried the Winnerwell stove?

mlgc20

WKR
I have the Winnerwell Nomad - Large. I haven't used it a ton. But, it is very high quality. Great craftsmanship and well thought out accessories. My research led me to either a G-Stove or the Winnerwell. I went with the Winnerwell, mainly because it was in stock when I was ready to buy. But, I have not been disappointed.

OP
M

mmac

WKR
Thanks, what size tent are you using it in and how cold?

mlgc20

WKR
Thanks, what size tent are you using it in and how cold?
I have it in a 12 x 14 tent. I’ve had it in the high teens/low 20s with no problem. I had my 12 and 10 year old daughters with me. They usually sleep cold, but they were very comfortable. When the stove gets going it will just about run you out of there. I feel confident I could take the setup down to 0 and still be very comfortable.

Seems odd Kodiak canvas would caution against heating their tents yet make a tent with a stove jack using the same canvas as their other tents..

OP
M

mmac

WKR
That is why I asked them directly. I was worried it was something of a coating in the canvas where springbar uses a different type of canvas.

I think KC has been listening to their lawyers too much.

I have been running a buddy heater in mine, off a hose and 20# bottle, for the past two years. Works great and it's so simple, clean and trouble-free that I wouldn't even consider a wood stove now.

92xj

WKR
If you took my comment as me calling you "stupid", you should reread the post. I'm sorry your feelers got hurt.
What was said was "Don't be stupid with fire or another hear source and you'll be fine..." As in, don't put your heat source touching a wall, don't kick your heat source over, don't place gasoline near your heat source, don't do dumb things with a heat source, etc. This can be applied in every single tent application that uses a heat source. Kodiak canvas told you that from a liability stand point, not a you will die or get injured in our tent if you run a heat source.

OP
M

mmac

WKR
No problem, wasn't really upset. I am clearly thinking too much about it. Both have good reviews and pros and cons on both tents. The stove already set up and included from factory is a nice plus, even if more expensive.

I like the buddy heater concept. However, my camps for hunting were both at 10,500 this year. So I don't think that will work for me.