Springfield Armory Waypoint 2020 Pre Review.

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
Well I ended up with a Landowner voucher for a Southern Colorado antelope hunt coming up in three weeks so I decided I better get a bit serious and stretch the legs on the Waypoint. This was all with factory Hornady 143 ELDX. I Hope to put down a big lope come Oct. 2nd

This was a 3 shot group at 400 yards. Pretty darn happy with the rifle after shooting this group. I did not measure the group but I’d say right at or slightly less than MOA.
27A82A5E-72E7-46C7-9BF6-E3C02E700966.jpeg57E221AD-4011-4642-9013-879BC4D83C11.jpeg
This group was one shot each starting at 600 then 500 and then at 400. The Orange dot is the size of the bottom of a paint can. I am overall very pleased with this rifle and factory Hornady ammo. It shoots way better than expected. It was starting to warm up when I shot these shots and the heat waves were getting pretty serious. But with that being said I’ll take these three shots any day!

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
Curiosity got me so I did a quick Ballistic-X measurement. There was a bit of a wind this morning. So the left to right grouping may have had something to do with that. Take out the wind and this quite possibly could have been a .5 MOA group at 400 yards with factory ammunition. 🤓

52D6FED9-7111-40CE-8BED-67ED16829058.jpeg

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
My first successful hunt with the Springfield Armory Waypoint was amazing. I traveled to Southern Colorado on a last minute antelope hunt and it turned out to be amazing! Opening morning I had this exceptional buck killed by 8AM. 200 yards with the waypoint and Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELDX.

61ED4665-0EF2-4378-9581-7F6646F5013A.jpeg5670E52C-725F-48D3-A83A-BD7A5040928F.jpeg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My first successful hunt with the Springfield Armory Waypoint was amazing. I traveled to Southern Colorado on a last minute antelope hunt and it turned out to be amazing! Opening morning I had this exceptional buck killed by 8AM. 200 yards with the waypoint and Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELDX.

View attachment 333760View attachment 333761

Good buck Joel. Looks like the rifles delivered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
Really like this rifle and think it has a ton to offer. Just wish they had some 7mm or 300 flavors

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I've been looking at them since they came out and can't believe there was no 7mm offering. Rumor is there are more chamberings coming though

Fingers crossed for some more powerful offerings. 300 WSM and I'm there. Fixed AG alpine hunter stock, evergreen camo, carbon barrel is my flavor. My only possible gripe is the pull weight on the trigger, I'd prefer 2lb, but the Trigger Tech is the best there is right now. Might swap this TT Field trigger for a 2 stage TT Special. No need to order a custom hunting rifle with this on the market so long as they address the caliber issue.

Last edited:
I've been looking at them since they came out and can't believe there was no 7mm offering. Rumor is there are more chamberings coming though
I talked to their CS this morning and they said "potentially working on it" and "check back with us in January".

TheTone

WKR
I’m scheming with myself on how I can get one in 6.5creed or 308 within the next year. I’ve got a gun I would use as partial trade but may just struggle finding one it aeems

jared07

FNG
I was able to get my hands on a Springfield Armory Waypoint 2020 rifle. I wanted to shoot you guys few pictures and my initial thoughts. There will be a full and complete review after I get a chance to hunt with it some this fall.

First off the rifle comes in a very nice and user friendly soft padded case that was unexpected but very nice to have and use while traveling. The case has hook and loop Velcro straps to secure the rifle in place as well as a sleeve that fits over the muzzle of the barrel and another small pouch to remove the bolt and protect it as well.

Secondly the fit finish and components are IMO are designed and machined very well. The bolt is a super thought out tool-less design that allows for quick in the field stripping of the bolt in emergency situations. AG composites Carbon fiber stock with a slight palm swell fits my hand very very well and incorporates M-Lock up front to make mounting a pic rail for a bipod super easy. The stock also features 5 QD Flush cup sling mounts.

I was able to mount up a Leupold MK5 HD 3-18 in Hawkins rings. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but will get to it this week sometime. In my opinion (and I have owned and shot a lot of high end rifles) that this rifle is a lot of rifle (value) for the money. If it shoots as good as I feel it will it’s going to be a hit!!!

Obviously I want a complete a thorough review so I plan on shooting and testing it this fall. I plan on using this rifle on a Eastern Colorado Late mule deer hunt as well as using it here in Indiana on Whitetail deer.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. View attachment 301760View attachment 301761View attachment 301762View attachment 301763View attachment 301764View attachment 301765View attachment 301766

Who makes that single slot rail section? Very cool.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s my 100 yard group getting my 308 sighted in. Sweet shooting rifle for sure!IMG_1956.jpg
4286fc272a8ca1ee4a308d63d85bba3e.jpg