Springfield Armory Waypoint 2020 Pre Review.

I have three Springfield Armory guns, two handguns and an AR15. Fit, finish and accuracy are great and the guns are well thought out. Good customer service too. That has been my experience with them. Looks like their entry into bolt actions is following suit. Very nice rifle. Congrats!

RogerNH

FNG
This looks like a fantastic rifle and is very high on my list. I hope Springfield releases a 300 WSM version. If they do, it will most certainly be an automatic buy for me. How is the action of this rifle? Is there a lot of slop? Is it smooth? Any hangups when cycling the action with/without ammo? Do you like the trigger or would you replace it with something else like a Diamond or something from Timney?

How is your sight picture with the non-adjustable stock? Do you think the non-adjustable stock would work with a larger scope like an ATACR 5-25x56mm scope or would you need the adjustable stock for that?

Last edited:
OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
This looks like a fantastic rifle and is very high on my list. I hope Springfield releases a 300 WSM version. If they do, it will most certainly be an automatic buy for me. How is the action of this rifle? Is there a lot of slop? Is it smooth? Any hangups when cycling the action with/without ammo? Do you like the trigger our would you replace it with something else like a Diamond or something from Timney?

How is your sight picture with the non-adjustable stock? Do you think the non-adjustable stock would work with a larger scope like an ATACR 5-25x56mm scope or would you need the adjustable stock for that?
The action is very smooth and slick. Better than most. Although I have only put ten rounds through the rifle as of today I have had zero hang ups and cycling has been flawless so far. I have only used the Hawkins drop box Mag as of now.

Although I prefer a bit lighter trigger at 1 3/4 pounds I feel this trigger is way better than most factory rifles! And will work out just fine for 90% of the users.

With a higher mounting scope like you mentioned depending on your cheek weld/face structure you may require the adjustable stock version to benefit the most.

RogerNH

FNG
Thank you for your input! Sounds like the adjustable stock is the way to go.

The action is very smooth and slick. Better than most. Although I have only put ten rounds through the rifle as of today I have had zero hang ups and cycling has been flawless so far. I have only used the Hawkins drop box Mag as of now.

Although I prefer a bit lighter trigger at 1 3/4 pounds I feel this trigger is way better than most factory rifles! And will work out just fine for 90% of the users.

With a higher mounting scope like you mentioned depending on your cheek weld/face structure you may require the adjustable stock version to benefit the most.

camrewop

FNG
I've been looking for a while to see if the rail was 0 or 20 MOA. Thanks for posting the image of the bottom of the rail. Seems odd that they would spec a 0 MOA rail, unless its a nod to more hunting roots than long range.

I've been looking for a while to see if the rail was 0 or 20 MOA. Thanks for posting the image of the bottom of the rail. Seems odd that they would spec a 0 MOA rail, unless its a nod to more hunting roots than long range.

It is a hunting rifle. I don't shoot a ton at long range and haven't gone past 1000 in a few years but I've also never been close to running out of elevation with a zero cant rail on a hunting rifle.

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
I was outrageously skeptical of this rifle. Now I’m hunting a green steel in 6.5CM. Not an easy rifle to find
I honestly don’t think you will be disappointed. Keep an eye out on Gunbroker. I keep watching for a 6.5 PRC but very limited options as of now and I can say I do not think I have seen any steel barrels for sale yet.

I honestly don’t think you will be disappointed. Keep an eye out on Gunbroker. I keep watching for a 6.5 PRC but very limited options as of now and I can say I do not think I have seen any steel barrels for sale yet.
Will do, as of now it’s all carbons and msrp prices. in this climate I don’t expect to find many deals on the broker. I’ll sign up for alerts at some drop shippers and see what happens.

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
Will do, as of now it’s all carbons and msrp prices. in this climate I don’t expect to find many deals on the broker. I’ll sign up for alerts at some drop shippers and see what happens.
Check with Battlehawk armory out of Iowa. That’s where I bought mine. He has a ton of inventory.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
I did not care at all for the Magpul magazine that came with the Waypoint rifle. I do not like the fact of how far the magazine dropped below the trigger guard. After a extensive search and a quick email to @HawkinsPrecision this Gem showed up. It is absolutely perfect for this rifle. The original Magpul holds 5 rounds. This awesome flush mount Hawkins Mag holds 4. Great job Hawkins Precision.

View attachment 305111TView attachment 305114

Can you confirm the mag you ordered holds 4 rounds? The link you posted later on in the thread comes up with a 3-round magazine. Thanks

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
Can you confirm the mag you ordered holds 4 rounds? The link you posted later on in the thread comes up with a 3-round magazine.
You are correct. The link and Hawkins both say 3 rounds. I did just go confirm. Mine did hold 4 plus one in the chamber. I cycled through all five without firing and without a issue.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
You are correct. The link and Hawkins both say 3 rounds. I did just go confirm. Mine did hold 4 plus one in the chamber. I cycled through all five without firing and without a issue.

Good deal, thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
I Had some time to test three different Hornady rounds today. Nine rounds fired. Three, three shot groups from 100 yards off of a bench with rear bag support and atlas bipod. All factory ammo. Starting with the Hornady 140 ELDM. This group just makes the .75 accuracy guarantee. Most hunters would be very happy with this group out of a factory rifle with factory ammo! I was pleased.

NOTE: I am not the best shooter in the world.
EB0EFA16-BCBA-4511-A3AD-B506C435A741.jpeg

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
Next up was the Hornady 147 ELDM factory loaded round. This round also shot very well and with two basically going in the same hole it makes me wonder if the third was me? I will revisit this as I ran out of time today. As you can see this load came in at .666 also below the accuracy guarantee of .75 MOA that Springfield advertises. 503DA993-6336-42F0-813D-080ADF7639BD.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
And finally the best was the 143 ELDX. Once again two touching and one out. But still a excellent group at .588 MOA. Well under the .75 MOA Guarantee. I will revisit this round as time permits too.
Overall I am extremely happy with the results and accuracy of this rifle! 285A1E61-EEA4-4745-AAA7-E72B8BAD0C95.jpeg