Springfield xdm elite 10mm

Sammymusi

WKR
I’ve looked around on here and didn’t find much info. To anyone that has the Springfield elite compact 10mm how do you like it ? What are your pros and cons ? I’m torn between this and the Glock 20. I have had both of them in my hands and I feel the xdm just feels better in my hand than the 20. I can get the glock gen 4 sf for a decent price and seems the xdm is about 100 bucks more. I’m strictly going to use this for my elk hunts / bear protection and not every day carry. I will be shooting the buffalo bore ammo through it not a ton but enough for me to feel comfortable and ready for anything. Thanks I’m advance and I’m sorry if this subject has been discussed.

Spoonbill

WKR
I’ve looked around on here and didn’t find much info. To anyone that has the Springfield elite compact 10mm how do you like it ? What are your pros and cons ? I’m torn between this and the Glock 20. I have had both of them in my hands and I feel the xdm just feels better in my hand than the 20. I can get the glock gen 4 sf for a decent price and seems the xdm is about 100 bucks more. I’m strictly going to use this for my elk hunts / bear protection and not every day carry. I will be shooting the buffalo bore ammo through it not a ton but enough for me to feel comfortable and ready for anything. Thanks I’m advance and I’m sorry if this subject has been discussed.
Glocks generally are more reliable and durable. XDs have been known to break more often, with issues like the grip safety failing. If I were in the market for a 10mm, a glock 20 would be high on the list of guns I’d consider.

OP
S

Sammymusi

WKR
I didn’t realize there were issues with the grip safety I will have to do some more digging on this. Thanks !

I purchased an xdm elite in 9mm last winter. I really like it but have not put a ton of rounds through it (probably only around 400). My hands are fairly large and it felt so much better than the glock guns I held. I have the fiber optic sights which is really nice as well. I have not heard of the issues with the grip safety either. My brother in law has the same gun and it has been very reliable for him as well. Hope that helps.

I have a Springfield XDM 10mm with the 4.5 barrel. I imagine the elite will have a little more recoil with the shorter 3.8 inch barrel. I went with the XDM over the Glock 20/40 10mms due to the XDM fitting my hands much better.

I would not be concerned about reliability in an XDM unless you are using crappy ammo and never lube it. The below link shows a test of 10,000 rounds with no failures and only spring replacement and lube every 2000 rounds. Glocks are good too but they can have issues as well. My agency-issued pistols are Glock 19 and 26 and I have seen Glocks fail to fire as well when they get too gummed up with crap.

If you do go with the XDM stay at 200 gr or under as I shot a box of Underwood 200 gr and a box of Underwood 220 gr and the 220 had numerous problems cycling after the first shot. Underwood told me that the standard XDM factory spring is too light for 220 gr and you would need to replace it with a heavier spring. So I just stayed with Underwood 200 gr hardcast as my bear country load. I have shot several hundred rounds through it and no hiccups with the 200 gr Underwood hardcast.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any experience with the gun but the fact that you said one feels better in your hand than the other tells me you should pick that gun. Remember the purpose of the weapon...Griz protection. If you really do need to use it I would think you could get a shot off more quickly and accurately with a gun that fits you better.

OP
S

Sammymusi

WKR
Ya I slept on it last night and agree , I have to be 100 percent confident with the weapon I choose IF I ever need to use this gun which god knows I hope never happens I want to be ready . Thanks

Spoonbill

WKR
Ya I slept on it last night and agree , I have to be 100 percent confident with the weapon I choose IF I ever need to use this gun which god knows I hope never happens I want to be ready . Thanks
Is there a range nearby that rents guns? If so you could shoot the XD before buying it to see how you like it.

OP
S

Sammymusi

WKR
Not real close but my buddy who lives in Wyoming said if I don’t love it he’ll buy it from me so it’s a win win situation.

Deadfall

WKR
I'm picking up one this weekend.

Would suggest smaller grain bullet for practice. Be cheaper. Before hunting comes around move to the heavier more expensive ammo.

I have been debating which round to use. Lighter bullet that Pentwater better or heavier bullet that hits harder.

OP
S

Sammymusi

WKR
I was reading about the underwood xtreme penetrator are awesome and a lot of guys are using them in correspondence with the hardcast.

dla

WKR
I was reading about the underwood xtreme penetrator are awesome and a lot of guys are using them in correspondence with the hardcast.
Unless something has changed, the "Extreme Penetrator" isn't. The EP is a marketing gimmick, IMHO.

Heavy hardcast gives the best penetration. Your bear zapping ammo should be 200gr or 220gr hardcast moving at max velocity. Don't be fooled, a 10mm isn't a 44mag....

This fellow also tested Extreme Penetrators - worth reading IMO. (~60" with hardcast, ~24" with EP).

https://general-cartridge.com/2019/07/19/underwood-10mm-hard-cast-clear-ballistics-gel/

Last edited:

Spoonbill

WKR

Deadfall

WKR
Please let me know !!
Just finished shooting this thing for first time.
180 grain plinkers penetrated 3 and half inches into a fir wood block.

For comparison my 230 grain 45 acp were one inch less.

My dealer is after proper bear loads. No doubt in my mind this thing is way to go.

I have big hands. Even without the extensions it's fun to shoot.

XDM does have more recoil then 45. Less then 44.

My dealer has 5 more on hand. If anyone is interested, pm and I'll give you his contact. He in montana.

Also shot some 135 grain hollow point. I am not a hollow point fan.