SPUHR tikka mounts

Lawnboi

WKR
Going to do an overview of the spuhr tikka mounts, when I originally got the hunter version, I got a lot of questions about it so figured I’d make a thread. Considering the tikka cult going on here I think more people need to see these things.

For those unfamiliar, spuhr is a Swedish company that makes gun stuff, probably the most popular has been their scope mounts. Show up to most any precision rifle match and your bound to see quite a few spuhr mounts on the line. Before I got into shooting matches I didn’t know much or think much of the heavy duty spuhr stuff. But once I began seeing them, and noticed their hunting tikka direct mount line I took notice.

Some time earlier this year I ended up with a direct attach spuhr tikka hunting mount. 30mm tube, 30mm height. In the photo I have an shv f1 in 50mm in it. The thought of eliminating the rail, along with something I can swap back and forth easily on all my tikkas made sense to me. The hunting mount has no built in cant, not a big deal for my 223. It’s simple, clamps right to the action like sports match rings which are so popular. It’s got a recoil lug that goes into the action, and is built out of 7000 series aluminum. I paid $235 from mile high shooting for the hunter mount…. Not a bad price considering the quality and the fact that my rail/ring setup added more screws, and cost more money. Mounting the scope was simple, it comes with a wedge designed to level the bottom of yours scope to the mount once on the action, made it nice and simple.720EAE4C-BEA3-4253-B5EF-BA9F1C3D6474.jpeg

Id been lusting for the bigger spuhr to put an NX8 in on my tikka match rifle, to be able to switch around with my various hunting rifles. Finally swallowed the price and ordered one. Specs in the picture below. I won’t say the price…. You guys can look it up if you want a shock.
0AE9AFDF-5041-40E3-BC5A-78294F654C7E.jpeg
As the hunting mount was, this thing is very high quality, has the same mounting interface, a bubble level, and 7 mils of cant built in. The scope pictures is a 4-32 NX8, that pulls double duty on the pictured rifle along with my 17lb match built tikka. Below is a picture of the mounting interface, the recoil lug can be removed and moved to any desired spot. This mount too uses the wedge for leveling. Mounting went smooth. The angle on the rings leaves turrets easily seen. The level, something I like to have but don’t focus on it much, takes a bit to see, don’t have to move my cheek but have to shift focus to get a good look at it. Headed to the range and in 2 shots had my zero, threw a couple more on and called it good.
CDF6D944-2B26-4D3E-A770-D47871BE4F03.jpeg436E55C3-1B97-4D97-900E-CB254BEF8FCD.jpeg
I’d recommend this to anyone looking to simplify their mount, or to move scopes around on multiple tikkas. For me it was both, and another plus was getting rid of those tiny tikka rail screws. They are a good option and make a number of different options along with attachments. Must have done something right, below is a couple stacked on my 2nd shot to zero.
85FD235B-EDA7-46B3-A127-D2A076B07414.jpeg
Any other questions or picture requests please let me know. Not a lot out there on these specific tikka/trg mounts.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That’s a good overview. The main problem with the Spuhr hunting mount is the ring spacing is terrible, and of course they are quite expensive for what you get.

Issues to watch out for, that really aren’t that uncommon is the ring caps cracking- thats across all generations of Spuhr mounts. Out of around a dozen mounts that I’ve used or seen used extensively, three have cracked, and I know of more- it’s not isolated.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
That’s a good overview. The main problem with the Spuhr hunting mount is the ring spacing is terrible, and of course they are quite expensive for what you get.

Issues to watch out for, that really aren’t that uncommon is the ring caps cracking- thats across all generations of Spuhr mounts. Out of around a dozen mounts that I’ve used or seen used extensively, three have cracked, and I know of more- it’s not isolated.
I’m assuming for the hunting mount the problem is how close they are? Both mounts definitely give up some adjustability, however with these two particular scopes they do not for me atleast.

Iv read some on the cracking as well, I’ll be sure to keep an eye out, I heard they did a redesign of the cap building it up a bit. They are a thin cap compared to the ARC rings they replaced.

Your right on the price, especially the tactical mount. I’m a sucker for simplicity, and having 3 tikkas as my main shooters it made some sense for swapping around if needed. Iv heard a lot more good than bad about spuhr.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m assuming for the hunting mount the problem is how close they are? Both mounts definitely give up some adjustability, however with these two particular scopes they do not for me atleast.

Mainly the issue with ring spacing is zero retention. In general, the farther the rings are spaced away from each other, the better for holding zero due to knocks.

Iv read some on the cracking as well, I’ll be sure to keep an eye out, I heard they did a redesign of the cap building it up a bit. They are a thin cap compared to the ARC rings they replaced.

They did redesign them, while they may be a bit better, they’re still cracking. The last one I saw from a brand new mount was about two months ago. Just something to watch.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Mainly the issue with ring spacing is zero retention. In general, the farther the rings are spaced away from each other, the better for holding zero due to knocks.
Got it, understanding you usually space the rings as far apart as possible. Is this a product of the internals? Or just the torque that can be placed on the scope? Havnt had any zero problems with this scope yet, though I’m only 500 rounds and a few prairie dog trips into the mount.

If I have any problems I’ll post up.

I looked at their hunting mount for my Tikka I'm putting together. I couldn't justify the price and went with the simpler Hawkins rings. I first got set of Talley's as I've had good luck with them, but found a good deal on the Hawkins and liked the fit/finish on them more.

CaptArab

FNG
Classified Approved
I bought the low hunting mount for a 4-16x42 atacr, and the bottom of the turret housing wouldn't fit.

In the end I went with the 419 rail and rings.

I'm learning I don't really care for low scopes anyhow since my glasses don't correct my astigmatism as well at the top of the lense.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I looked at their hunting mount for my Tikka I'm putting together. I couldn't justify the price and went with the simpler Hawkins rings. I first got set of Talley's as I've had good luck with them, but found a good deal on the Hawkins and liked the fit/finish on them more.
I had a set of Hawkins direct mount rings as well. If they had a recoil pin in them I’d likely have stuck with them. That and scope problems caused me to go all picatinny so I could troubleshoot if needed.

I had a set of Hawkins direct mount rings as well. If they had a recoil pin in them I’d likely have stuck with them. That and scope problems caused me to go all picatinny so I could troubleshoot if needed.
Yeah what doesn't make sense is that Hawkins makes some of their other rings with recoil pins in them for the same price, but not the Tikka. Seems like a missed opportunity.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I bought the low hunting mount for a 4-16x42 atacr, and the bottom of the turret housing wouldn't fit.

In the end I went with the 419 rail and rings.

I'm learning I don't really care for low scopes anyhow since my glasses don't correct my astigmatism as well at the top of the lense.
Interesting I’m learning the same thing, I prefer a little height and a cheek riser, makes it easier to get a good cheek weld without inducing pressure. I’m also a glasses wearer and with lows have had problems with my frame obstructing image.

Good to keep in mind, a baby atacr is my dream scope for a hunting rifle, maybe one day, until then I’ll limp along with my poor man shv and nx8.

Last edited:

CaptArab

FNG
Classified Approved
it's a much better scope than my skills justify, but I got it for ~$1600 used so the risk was minimal. It was actually a pretty early model that had an adhesive failure, but NF took care of me.

Lots of deals out there if you're willing to slum a Mil-R

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
it's a much better scope than my skills justify, but I got it for ~$1600 used so the risk was minimal. It was actually a pretty early model that had an adhesive failure, but NF took care of me.

Lots of deals out there if you're willing to slum a Mil-R
Beats the moar, can’t stand it on the shv. Been spoiled by the mil xt reticle, I don’t think I’m going back.

ETtikka

WKR
Looks like a well designed mount, better mechanical advantage than a non clamped rail, as long as the scope is not too long

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Got it, understanding you usually space the rings as far apart as possible. Is this a product of the internals? Or just the torque that can be placed on the scope?

Just torque. Just like anything, with objective and eyepiece sticking out, they’re nice unsupported levers.

I do like the face that they clamp to the rail. All of our rings and picatinny rails are attached by only 4x 6-48 screws. Aren't those considered small and all the later R700 actions went to 8-40 threads because you can break 6-48s too easy?

edit:NVM you said that in your OP. Now you almost have me sold! Damn

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I do like the face that they clamp to the rail. All of our rings and picatinny rails are attached by only 4x 6-48 screws. Aren't those considered small and all the later R700 actions went to 8-40 threads because you can break 6-48s too easy?
Most smiths that blueprint then tap them 8-40. Most custom actions are running similar as well, along with being pinned. The fact that you can use a recoil lug on the tikkas also helps. I couldn’t see buying rings or a rail without a lug for a tikka.