Squaring Stainless Steel inserts, collars, half outs

What are you using to square up stainless? I've used a G5 ASD for a long time but have been using half outs for several years on one arrow setup and would like to square some of those inserts up now, also moving more toward a HIT insert with Iron Will collar, don't know that this particular combo will need to be squared but would like to have the option. I do square both ends of carbon and also square aluminum insert face after installed when using a traditional insert.

Trial153

WKR
In regards to HITS, IW or Easton, doesn't matter. The beauty of themis that they are concentric with the shaft. In order to square them properly you need a square up the shaft. After that's done the installation tool when mated to a square shaft will ensure that your properly aligned.

It really simple for me.
1) Cut the shaft
2) use a G5 tool to square it
3) Use the installing tool as a tester and visually look at the shaft face where it mates to the tool. If its perfect your GTO, if not repeat #2 and three
4) skip this step unless your really anal. I dry install a hit on perfect broadhead, place it in the shaft and spin it on bearings. If it perfect I then install the HIT using the tool and two part epoxy.

Wapiti1

WKR
The G5 ASD should work for the stainless as well with a sharp carbide. One of the tools that uses a diamond abrasive patch would be the next option.

I chuck them in my lathe, but most don't have that option.

Jeremy

OP
doverpack12
The G5 ASD should work for the stainless as well with a sharp carbide. One of the tools that uses a diamond abrasive patch would be the next option.

I chuck them in my lathe, but most don't have that option.

Jeremy

So use the same cutter side I would for an aluminum insert?

OP
doverpack12
In regards to HITS, IW or Easton, doesn't matter. The beauty of themis that they are concentric with the shaft. In order to square them properly you need a square up the shaft. After that's done the installation tool when mated to a square shaft will ensure that your properly aligned.

It really simple for me.
1) Cut the shaft
2) use a G5 tool to square it
3) Use the installing tool as a tester and visually look at the shaft face where it mates to the tool. If its perfect your GTO, if not repeat #2 and three
4) skip this step unless your really anal. I dry install a hit on perfect broadhead, place it in the shaft and spin it on bearings. If it perfect I then install the HIT using the tool and two part epoxy.

I’m looking to square up an iron will impact collar or other stainless half outs. Been doing as you describe for 12 or so years

Trial153

WKR
I’m looking to square up an iron will impact collar or other stainless half outs. Been doing as you describe for 12 or so years
Are they out of square? Because that would be a first I seen from IW.
For what we pay for premium components, i would be sending them back if they had such poor tolerances.
I have built two dozen shafts with IW collars so far and they have all been perfect

OP
doverpack12
Are they out of square? Because that would be a first I seen from IW.
For what we pay for premium components, i would be sending them back if they had such poor tolerances.
I have built two dozen shafts with IW collars so far and they have all been perfect

the arrow I know is nice and straight spins everything well. Second arrow I know is a little out from my arrow straightness tester and it does not spin quite as well, not a wobble but a little vibration of the tip when spinning.
Part of my thinking is to square up the insert face after Ive shot targets awhile or missed and dinged the face. I use field points slightly smaller than my inserts and shafts so they pull better

Wapiti1

WKR
So use the same cutter side I would for an aluminum insert?

Yes, the carbide should have no problem shaving stainless just like aluminum. Might need a little more pressure, but should do it. Stainless isn't that hard of a material.

Jeremy