Squat rack?

NEhunter

WKR
I’ve got rogue and think it is very hard to beat. Great quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built my squat stands out of 2x4's, paint buckets and quickcrete. Was a fun project, and the money I saved was put toward a nice bar and bumpers.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure I'd trust a homemade squat rack to carry 500 lbs. Buy a decent one that you can bench with and you can do all 4 of the big compounds with 1 rack

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
Not sure I'd trust a homemade squat rack to carry 500 lbs. Buy a decent one that you can bench with and you can do all 4 of the big compounds with 1 rack

If I could even consider a 500# squat I wouldn't be asking about a homemade version. :)
What's your recommendation for a decent one? Rogue always seems like a safe answer but a pricey one.

ediggity

FNG
There's used racks on craigslist and Facebook marketplace ALL the time. I'd shop there and check them out online for reviews. I bet you can get a quality used rack for around the same price as building one yourself. I went with a larger Body Solid brand that included a smith bar (wife requested it) for around $400. It retailed for a ton more. People are practically giving them away since most people these days aren't handy and don't have a truck. Bring a socket and wrench set and an impact driver and you'll have it in your place in no time. Had to bring mine in through a window!

jmav58

WKR
I've got a Fringe Fitness squat rack, which I really like. They run flash sales on stuff anywhere from 10-35% off so keep your eye out.

I've never had 500# on my homemade stands, so I can't argue with you there. I do have it set up for both bench and squat/overhead press heights though.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
If I could even consider a 500# squat I wouldn't be asking about a homemade version. :)
What's your recommendation for a decent one? Rogue always seems like a safe answer but a pricey one.
Rogue would be what I would go with also. Depends on if you're in it for the long haul as to if it's worth it or not. And I dont squat 500 lol, but rack pulls get pretty close.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I've never had 500# on my homemade stands, so I can't argue with you there. I do have it set up for both bench and squat/overhead press heights though.
Hey man, if works for you, it works, and that's all that matters

rsltid13

FNG
if you have the money it's tough to beat rogue but if you are looking for something for budget friendly I love my Titan fitness rack

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ratbeetle

WKR
Having owned and been unimpressed with the Rogue, I'd take a look at REP Fitness. They're local to me in CO and I've had a chance to check out their showroom. If I was in the market for another rack, that's where I would go first. Very reasonable prices.

Trr15

WKR
Having owned and been unimpressed with the Rogue, I'd take a look at REP Fitness. They're local to me in CO and I've had a chance to check out their showroom. If I was in the market for another rack, that's where I would go first. Very reasonable prices.

What was unimpressive about the Rogue rack? I’ve been impressed with literally every piece of equipment I’ve purchased from them.

NEhunter

WKR
What was unimpressive about the Rogue rack? I’ve been impressed with literally every piece of equipment I’ve purchased from them.

That’s what I was just thinking as well. Nothing but stout, extremely well made equipment from what I’ve seen. Pricey? Yes, but very well worth it IMO.

Ratbeetle

WKR

I think they're overpriced. Do they work, yeah but you're paying for a name and not getting much value. Steel tubing is steel tubing, it's nothing special. At the price point of a Rogue, you expect some...refinement, I guess. The finish on my RML3 was absolute garbage and the standard pipe/pin safeties are crap.

They'll hold weight just fine but so will racks that are half the cost. Just my opinion after owning one.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Rogue is my vote. I have an R3 at the house, just wish id spring for the x-143 cross member for neutral grip pull-ups instead of the standard and fat bar it comes with. When looking at all the options I had to pay freight charges to get it to Alaska. The average was $450 to get it shipped. Based off of everything I wanted to do (Bench, squat, dl and ohp while solo in a garage) the rogue was the best option. Most of the amazon racks I found, while good racks, lacked a decent amount of accessories (extra j cups, plate storage, band attachments etc) and had very odd bar sizes (2 5/8s or something) that didn’t match the most wide range of attachments available from third parties.

I’ve failed a 365lbs squat last winter and having the pin safeties in place saved my everything, same thing with failed bench presses. I’ve had mine since March and have used it to do rack pulls, pin press, pin squat and have had to slam the weights into the uprights a couple times to bail on it and the finish is still looking brand new.

Attachments

• 300F75D4-0827-4FBC-A50E-AA9B8C239E80.jpeg
    300F75D4-0827-4FBC-A50E-AA9B8C239E80.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 54

Ratbeetle

WKR
My RML3 must have been powder coated after happy hour one day. The finish literally flaked off in places. Not what I expect when shelling out almost a grand for a piece of equipment.

I know plenty if people who use and like Rogue and I wouldn't mind trying one of their bars, but I couldn't ever recommend their racks based on my experience.

If I had to have tier 1, name brand only stuff...I'd go Elite FTS. But like I said earlier, if I was buying now, I would look at REP. For what I paid for the Rogue, I could get a rep outfitted with better safeties, plate storage, 1" hole diameters instead of 5/8" and have an equal or better weight rating.