Squats

Use perfect form, forget about the amount of weight used, and mix in several lifts at 10-15reps. i prefer goblet and regular squats. i promise those 35lb dumb bell goblets will burn.

*zap*

WKR
I think the best way to get better at a physical activity is to research, make a good plan and train/modify as you go forward. I firmly believe that regular complete body strength training, regular cardio training, and once a week rucking will provide great results. I also believe that if your doing all that correctly it will provide better results than 5x a week rucking. Strength is gained thru weighted movement but correct form for the movements is of great importance for fitness gains. Even in rucking form is very important... posture, stride length, hip engagement and foot strike should all be correct.
And, obviously rest, nutrition and proper structure of your training program is very important for good results.
Always work harder on your weaknesses....but realize that all training is a marathon not a sprint......so slow and structured progressions made over time may be the best approach.

E-Z Duz it But Do It is very good advice for all new exercise's/programs and program changes. Burn out is a problem when your doing strength/cardio/rucking and it is my opinion that rucking, especially rucking heavy weight is among the most physically demanding things people do.

A NATO study showed that when soldiers did all 3 (complete body strength, running and rucking) very regularly the soldiers that only rucked heavy once a week has 2x the improvement that soldiers who rucked heavy 2x a week (all other things being equal). The results were determined thru timed ruck marches and the time improvements made on those marches over a period of time for different test groups.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t go so far to say “mass” is important since that implies hypertrophy training for muscle size (aka “bodybuilding”), which doesn’t necessarily translate directly to strength, at least proportionally. BUT, there does seem to be a general misunderstanding about strength in that it is a general adaptation not a specific one. Strong legs are strong legs. You’re muscles don’t get strong only for an individual activity, they just get strong. You may have to adapt the capillary density of those muscles to doing specific repetitive activities like hiking up steep hills or pedaling, but strong is strong and if you are weak and off the couch, often times building sufficient strength is the slowest process to “getting in shape.” For that reason alone, you should be developing and/or maintaining (or attempting to maintain as much as possible) strength if you do things that require strength (like carrying heavy loads, though you will still need to do some rucking to get in proper shape).

Since strength is a general adaptation and barbells allow for you to develop strength in a progressive way by adding small, incremental amounts of stress to the bar, and since they generate the most amount of stress on the body (the body responds better to systematic stress: a barbell squat of 300# is more stressful than a 150# lunge) using effective range of motion, and employ the most amount of muscles (barbell squats involve more muscles than leg press machines, low bar squats involve more muscles than front squats etc) it is the most efficient way to develop strength. There are other ways, machines for examples or Dumbells, but they are less effective and less efficient because they are less stressful and less systematic. Not to say that you can’t or shouldn’t use them, but it is less return on investment of your time when it comes to developing strength.

Having “mass” and training in the hypertrophy rep ranges is more productive for aesthetics, which is fine if that is your thing, and some “bodybuilders” are impressively strong, but being that big or, better yet, having muscles that big, isn’t generally considered to be “functional” from the stand point of pure strength. There are guys who weigh 185# and squat north of 500#. Also, it’s not uncommon to see “big” guys who just aren’t very strong at all. For example, if you’re 250 lbs and you can’t squat 300 lbs, you’re not very strong for that size. Not that I’m attaching minimum strength numbers to Bodyweight (though I do tend to believe that it is completely reasonable to expect most any male athlete of any type to be able to squat the equivalent of their body weight for 5 reps, at least in their off season but that’s a whole other conversation), its more that people tend to assume that “big” guys are “strong” guys and that just doesn’t tend to hold true when put to the test. So, from my perspective, when I hear or read, “I hunted with a big guy who blew up on a pack out, squats don’t mean shit”, I tend to think, “yeah, that guy wasn’t actually very strong, you’re just equating size with strength”. Just because some “lifts weights” doesn’t mean that they are effectively strength training nor does it mean that they are categorically “strong” and, because of that fact, I’m suspicious of people applying individual observations to draw general conclusions about of topic of which there exist a metric ton of data, both scientific and antecedent in nature.

If you show me a 200 lbs guy who squats 300 lbs for a few reps to just below parallel and who did a appropriate amount of uphill rucking leading up to hunt and you tell me that he had a complete meltdown on the packout, I’ll eat crow, but I don’t think anyone can produce this example. Rather, it’s more like you know a big guy who happens to go to the gym to “lift weights” (translation: doesn’t squat or deadlift and if he does, it’s shit form with light weights), didn’t prepare appropriately on his uphill conditioning and he had a meltdown on the pack out. I’ll bet my money that’s where these stories originate. (Also, **** that guy because he’s a weakling meathead).

Can I get a amen?

Lmao at the last part. AMEN!

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
And Poser, when I talk about mass, I'm talking about the extra muscle you inherently add by doing heavier compound lifts. I'm no bodybuilder, but I do have quite a bit of muscle. Not everyone who lifts heavy cares about aesthetics, I like pizza too much to give a shit about any of that 🤣🤣

Poser

WKR
And Poser, when I talk about mass, I'm talking about the extra muscle you inherently add by doing heavier compound lifts. I'm no bodybuilder, but I do have quite a bit of muscle. Not everyone who lifts heavy cares about aesthetics, I like pizza too much to give a shit about any of that

Ah, I see. I don’t perceive myself as a “big” guy or as having “big” muscles, but almost everytime I’m sitting on a chairlift at a ski area, I can’t help but notice how scrawny people’s legs are and wonder how they can ski/ride at any serious level, though some of those scrawny folks do shred and shred quite well. That being said, of my ski/snowboard related partner pool, the ones who don’t strength train in some capacity or another tend to be the most injury prone, many
Of them ongoing Having experimented with a variety of differing body weights for different sports and phases of life over the last 25+ years ranging from 150 to 230, I’ve found that a lot of general “aches and pains” tend to just dissolve at a minimum Bodyweight of right around 200#. Drop down much below that, aches and pains start. Gain some weight back and they fade away. That’s an observation that a number of strength coaches have made in their trainers as well But there is no scientific explanation

LostArra

WKR
Great job roksliders

45 comments and no arguments about squat style (high bar, low bar, bench, ATG, parallel, how far below parallel, split, goblet, blah, blah blah) or programming method.

Takeaway: squatting is better than not squatting except for possibly Sherpas.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I would have to agree, this has been a pretty awesome thread. I’ve learned a lot about squatting and think I should probably do more of it. However, I’m pretty lazy and don’t like to workout in the first place. Couple that with being cheap and not willing to pay for a gym membership, I just don’t go to the gym. I go for a hike about 3-4 days a week and workout at home with my kettlebells. I’m more of a high volume type guy when I do workout.

regardless, I have enjoyed the insight and will keep it in mind the next time I frequent a gym.

*zap*

WKR
Go Deep or Go Home...:love:

I think that bodyfat cushions muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints...….if you drop below a certain % there is a transition period of aches and pains while your body adapts to the new situation.

Ulfhedinn

FNG
Wendlers 5/3/1 is hands down one of the best overall setups for Squats, Bench, and Deads. Proven time and again. I have been working in the industry for 30 years. If you would like a spreadsheet to help punch in number or some tips based on this design let me know. Do this for a workout for what you need and you will get rock solid gains for any goals.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wendlers 5/3/1 is hands down one of the best overall setups for Squats, Bench, and Deads. Proven time and again. I have been working in the industry for 30 years. If you would like a spreadsheet to help punch in number or some tips based on this design let me know. Do this for a workout for what you need and you will get rock solid gains for any goals.

I have to fully agree. I've tired several different strength programs and Wendler's is the one I prefer over other. I'm not saying it's the "best", but I can say with certainty it works best for me. Some people get focused on his numbers, but if you look at his stuff the numbers change. What really resonates with me is his belief to start with lighter weight, gradually build that weight up, focus on proper form, the importance of recovery and when you're not advancing- change the game plan. I also like the fact that I spend a lot less time in the gym and am much more focused on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Poser

WKR
ed4b457922ae36192066621cc8fce1ce.jpg

Clifford

FNG
Adding weight to whatever your current squat is means your stronger. Get stronger and things become easier. Most well respected programs will help you get stronger if you stick with them.

sga475

FNG
Mix in some kettlebell swings, they will definitely help improve squats and deadlifts. Check out Strong First for good videos on technique.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
At the end of day, try weighted step ups on an 18 or 24" box. 4 sets of 20 per leg will put the finishing touch on your workout

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Or push this around for 20-30 mins

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200118-065222_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200118-065222_Chrome.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 21

Cody_W

WKR
I’m gonna try and keep this short, if someone wants a deeper dive into the physiology behind my recommendations then feel free to DM me free of charge 😉

1. Weight is relative to start. Do what makes you struggle progressively throughout each set.

2. It is so much more effective to vary rep ranges (high weight/low rep, low weight/ high rep) and small exercise variations such as a different stance each week (sumo, shoulder width, narrow stance, cannonball, front, goblet) doing this will aid in the activation and strengthening of a larger plane of muscles which will lessen the potential for injury and allow for a longer time until fatigue while hiking.

3. If you do the same 3-5 sets at 3-5 rep scheme for weeks of super low reps high weight you will gain strength but have ZERO functional endurance, Doing the opposite will yield great endurance but zero strength when hauling a heavy load unless you’re maintaining a minimum of 185+ squat and even then packing an animal will wreck you (it will never be easy though). This is why it’s essential to do both. There are a lot of great resources on “UNDULATING PERIODIZATION” that are especially helpful at creating a highly *functional* exercise program for people who use their muscles to do things aside from powerlifting or endurance running (aka hunting)

4. Accessory exercises are especially helpful at learning to train you to better activate target muscles as well as finisher exercises to aid in fatiguing muscles not associated with your squat (leg extension, adductor/ abductor machine, leg press) as well as building on the strengthening through variation as each movement will not activate muscles the exact same way as the next.

5. A proper warm up session of DYNAMIC (aka not still) stretching or movement is essential in bringing blood into the targeted muscles. Static or (stationary) stretches are a great way to lengthen muscles after a workout and pull out lactic acid, shortening recovery times. Long muscles compared to short muscles are not as explosive and strong but are much less likely to experience injury as their elasticity is mischief greater. (Last thing you wanna do on the mountain is pull or tear a muscle) so the SLIGHT decrease in strength is worth the benefit.

Happy Hunting,
Cody

MoySan

FNG
Start light, practice good form and WARM UP/ Stretch out!

My body has thank me so much in the last 2 years for actually taking the extra time to actually warm up and stretch out before and after lifting.

Personally I think starting with 5x5 rep scheme is a good way to start building strength and its low amount of reps that you are less likely to lose focus on your form during the set, which I seen people do when they firsts start squating / lifitng.