Squeak in new mystery ranch bear tooth 80

Baron85

WKR
I picked up a bear tooth 80 last weekend and have put around 10 miles on it this week loaded with 35#. Around mile 6 the pack started to squeak with almost every step. I am able to make it squeak by grabbing the top of the frame and pushing on opposite directions. The noise seems
To be coming from the top cross frame bar.

Anyone experience this? Any suggestions? I called mystery ranch today and they said they would look into it and get back with me

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
My guide lite mt frame has recently begun doing this as well. Not every step, but enough to notice. Soft squeak, but could just as well be screaming at full volume for what it could mean when in close and needing quiet. Appears to be coming from same area you describe. Please share what they respond with.

cured_ham

WKR
Mine did the same thing. Ended up fixing it by buying a Kifaru...

I later found that some people would oil the joints of the frame by running them with coconut oil. I have not tried it though,

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
I have a stone glacier and it is not comfortable for me, my wife absolutely loves it.

I also have a seek outside that I really like but can’t get the hip belt to stay put with weight.

I like the pack so far but can not deal with a squeak In my ear, will drive me nuts.

I later found that some people would oil the joints of the frame by running them with coconut oil. I have not tried it though,
How did they get the coconut oil into the joints? Just rub it onto the outer fabric and eventually it would soak in?

cured_ham

WKR
I have a stone glacier and it is not comfortable for me, my wife absolutely loves it.

I also have a seek outside that I really like but can’t get the hip belt to stay put with weight.

I like the pack so far but can not deal with a squeak In my ear, will drive me nuts.

How did they get the coconut oil into the joints? Just rub it onto the outer fabric and eventually it would soak in?
That is what it seemed like.

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
What are the improvements of the kifaru over your mystery ranch? I live within driving distance of kifaru so might be worth the drive but would like to hear what you found

Loper

WKR
My buddy’s kuiu pack started squeaking as well. He looked into it and others had the same problem. A number of people suggested putting graphite powder in or around the frame. Not sure if this will help with the MR at all, as the kuiu is carbon fiber

cured_ham

WKR
What are the improvements of the kifaru over your mystery ranch? I live within driving distance of kifaru so might be worth the drive but would like to hear what you found
Biggest improvement is the customer support and the customization. Both did well with loads. I hunted and trained (60lb sand) with my Metcalf for a year and had no major complaints.

I can shoot them a picture on Instagram and I have a response and a fix in an hour. Both Aron and the Kifaru page.

The customization is huge though. Being able to add pockets and compression straps are super nice. You can strap a load to the load shelf, and then strap the pack down separately. It is a modular system and with all the webbing you can really get creative. It is a huge plus being able to secure a load and not have to mash everything in your pack down to do so.

I think the yoke on the MR frame is easier to adjust but the Kifaru is more adjustable (I bought the Kifaru because I had shoulder surgery and needed to be able to favor a shoulder). The belt on the MR and Kifaru were both good. Kifaru may adjust easier.

I also think the load lifters on the kifaru edge out the MR too. Just that extra bit of adjust ability. One thing I miss about my MR pack which is a super small thing is I liked the little bladder hose keeper.

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
I heard back from mystery ranch this morning and the lady told me it was a pretty common issue and they are working on an updated frame for next year. She said the issue is some frames are sewn too tight causing the stays to rub against each other.

She offered to send me a return shipping label and replace with a new frame that they would test before shipping back.

I am planning to head up and check out a kifaru then decide if I will replace the mystery ranch or return it and go kifaru.

thanks for the help guys.

Ray.

FNG
I got a really good deal on the MR Beartooth and hunted with it for a season. It didn't take very long for it to start squeaking. I went to Kifaru the next season and I'll never go back. I thought the hip belt on the MR would be more comfortable just by looking at the padding but the Kifaru wins in every way. Modularity, comfort, frame rigidity. It also doesn't squeak. It was like test driving a new truck - you like it even when you don't want to like it because it's expensive. Make the investment and you'll be happy you did.

kyarcher

FNG
I heard back from mystery ranch this morning and the lady told me it was a pretty common issue and they are working on an updated frame for next year. She said the issue is some frames are sewn too tight causing the stays to rub against each other.

She offered to send me a return shipping label and replace with a new frame that they would test before shipping back.

I am planning to head up and check out a kifaru then decide if I will replace the mystery ranch or return it and go kifaru.

thanks for the help guys.
I am having the same issue and it is very frustrating. Do you know who you spoke to at mystery ranch? Have you checked out the Kifaru yet? Thanks

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
I went through this about 2 months ago. Spoke with Alexis W at Mystery Ranch. They had be send the frame in, they confirmed the squeak, then went through a bunch of frames at the warehouse and tested them all till they found a quiet one and replaced at no charge. Also replaced the yoke for a minor issue at no charge. Even threw in a free t shirt. Good service, much quieter pack.

Last edited:
seems like all packs develop a squeak with time.... i recently taped a frame, which worked. after season i'll wash the bag and see if that fixes it without tape.

some squeak worse than others, but they all seem to start squeaking at some point. seems in my situation, when they get wet often, they start squeaking faster. i figure it's dirt/pollen that gets saturated into the material when it gets wet

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
Sorry for the late response. It looks like you got your answer but I don’t remember who I talked too. My frame stopped squeaking on its own for a while but this past weekend it started to squeak again and worse than it was. Going to have to send it in after the seasons over. I am really liking the pack as far as comfort goes though.

jd1006

WKR
I noticed on the Guidelite MT frame that its the fabric that contains the frame that twists on the stay causing the squeak. I’ve heard that they can inject something in there to stop it. Honestly, QC should catch that and you shouldn’t have to send it in or do something like that. I sold the pack and frame and bought a SG. 5900 on an xcurve frame. It fit better, regardless. I think that MR frame has issues and won’t be surprised if there’s a “redesign” very soon.

I've had my Beartooth a little over 2 years now. Last year it developed a louder than normal squeaking noise, that's was more apparent when carrying a load. After looking over the bag a few times it turns out it was the autolock mechanism on the two male buckles on the top front of the bag that connect to the frame. There's a plastic tab that rubs on the plastic of the buckle, you can feel it when you work the auto lock button. The fix? I took some bow wax and worked it in between the tab and the buckle until it stopped squeaking. I would lubricate all the auto locking buckles just for the heck of it. I know this fix is temporary and it's probably not the solution to everyone's squeaking issues with this pack but maybe it will help some of you.

this thread is a huge help. I am having the same squeaking issues from a metcalf that is only 16 months old. I will be contacting MR to see what they can do to resolve this. I am all about trying another pack, but I do like the fit and layout of the metcalf. I have trained up to 60lbs in the pack, and hauled 1/3 of an elk of of the woods twice. This pack checks all the marks for me, but the squeak is unbearable.

LostArra

WKR

Don't think Kifaru or any pack for that matter, is immune to squeaking.
I called turkeys with a Kifaru. It was an easy fix with bow string wax. Same thing happened with my Exo. Also easy fix. Now squeaky boots is a whole other problem and can drive you NUTS.

kyarcher

FNG
this thread is a huge help. I am having the same squeaking issues from a metcalf that is only 16 months old. I will be contacting MR to see what they can do to resolve this. I am all about trying another pack, but I do like the fit and layout of the metcalf. I have trained up to 60lbs in the pack, and hauled 1/3 of an elk of of the woods twice. This pack checks all the marks for me, but the squeak is unbearable.
Contact Alexis with MR. She was a big help and awesome to work with.