Squeak in new mystery ranch bear tooth 80

Don't think Kifaru or any pack for that matter, is immune to squeaking.
I called turkeys with a Kifaru. It was an easy fix with bow string wax. Same thing happened with my Exo. Also easy fix. Now squeaky boots is a whole other problem and can drive you NUTS.
100% squeaky anything can be fixed except boots. I have one pair that drives me bonkers.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I've had a metcalf on a guidelite frame since 2015 or 16. Between hunting, backpacking and camping it has hundreds of miles on it. Damn thing still squeaks when I get 30ish or more pounds in it.

Must be a luck of the draw type of thing. I've had a Guide Light Mt frame with a Sawtooth 45 since they first hit. I've never experienced a squeak, whether carrying a normal 25# load in the bag, on a hike, or hauling 80# of mule deer meat, on the load shelf.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this one back up. One of my guidelite MT frames developed a squeak around the plastic adjustment tool. I quickly silenced it with a coat of kenetrek boot wax on the tool, then I worked the fabric against the tool to lube all of the contact surfaces. Dead silent now.

I had a squeak develop in my last bino chest harness right in the middle of a hunt. It was driving me nuts and I realized I had a bottle of that wind checker powder with me and squirted a bunch in the two spots where the plastic buckles were rubbing on fabric. Never made a sound the rest of the season. I’d try shooting some baby powder in the suspect spots and see if it goes away. Nice thing is it won’t stain anything either.

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
Very good suggestions. My squeak went away for a while and then came back. I will try these tricks and see what happens.

ccampff

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I both have a Beartooth bought in the last 2 years and neither squeak at all. Seems to be fairly random.

I would stick with it then, they all squeak to some extent, and what I didn’t like about the guide lite frame was how it fit and carried a heavy load… Not the pack’s fault, just not the pack for me.

I like my pop up much more than their full frame… if the MR fits you well, stick with it

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
This is my favorite fitting pack so far. I’m picking up a second one to have a smaller setup as well. Went with the Pintler this go around. I will get the squeak figured out

Idahank

FNG
I contacted Mystery Ranch about the same problem a few weeks ago. My frame is from 2021. The noise definitely comes from the stays. The new fix they perform, according to the rep I talked to is opening up the frame webbing, removing the stays, sanding them down slightly, covering them with hockey tape, and then reinstalling them and sewing everything back up. Lead times for repair get longer later in the fall as wildland firefighters finish up their work seasons and send their packs in too.

Loper

WKR
Wow it seems like MR is certainly aware of this issue and have identified a solve for this. Makes me wonder how many packs have been sent in for this service. The squeaking must be really annoying if the firefoghters are sending their bags in too as they don’t need to be quiet in the woods. The biggest question is if MR is aware of the problem, are they wrapping hockey tape around all the stays for new packs that are being sold? I would think the smart business move would be to introduce a new frame or stay system to prevent squeaking to reduce customer service issues.

Has anyone ever had issues with squeaks coming the hip belt buckles? I have an Exo and that's where mine is coming from.

JStol5

WKR
I had a sawtooth that would not stop squeaking. Eventually gave up and got a Stone glacier. Haven’t looked back.