squeaky leather boots!

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
How do I take care of this problem?? I've put about 50 miles on my new hunting boots to break them in and more confortable, but they squeak!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Is it the sole or the uppers? Obenauf's can soften leather quite a bit. If it is in the sole, IDK.

2rocky

WKR
I had a pair of danners that squeaked where the leather rubbed between the tongue and uppers. I lined the uppers with adhesive fleece where they made contact and solved that problem. (back of the eyelets)

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Update-I took the recommendation and waxed the areas between the tounge, laces, and boot. There was a good improvement and will make it part of my routine before each hunting trip.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
That boot guard stuff looks pretty cool. Have you ever used it?

Yup, I put it on almost all of my boots. Love it. Extends the life of my boots by quite a bit. But I almost exclusively buy boots that can be re-crafted and re-soled. I'm not sure if it would be worth it on cheaper boots that cannot be resoled. Also, a little secret: The boot guard is pretty much the same thing as DIY truck bedliner!

bowinhand

WKR
It has been my experience that squeaky leather is due to the leather being dry and needs to be treated with some sort of dressing such as Nikwax, Grangers G-Wax paste or snow seal beeswax or some other depending on the type and brand of boot you have. Steer clear of products like saddle soap, mink oil, or other that say will soften leather as you will loose support around ankle.