Squirrels because why not?

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Been pulling the thread on this myself this year. Did hot wings with these dudes this past weekend- "limb chickens" is definitely an accurate descriptor. Unfortunately, all the public anywhere nearby is pretty slim pickings.
I always had luck at Powhatan WMA. I could usually limit out in an afternoon. Squirrels in Alaska are too small to be worth the effort. More like a chipmunk than a squirrel.

Squirrel hunting is still one of my favorite ways to spend time in the woods. No better way to teach a kid about the woods and how to sneak through than by sneaking up on a tree rat!

Last year. This is squirrel hunting season for sure! I avoid hunting them during deer season, which runs from August 15 - January 1! So it's time to get back out there.
20190121_164425.jpg20200120_165014-1.jpg

BAKPAKR

WKR
I am going to be doing some predator hunting in the next two months but I am also going to chase some squirrels.

A2742841-A6A2-4E93-89A3-825C9A4AFD54.jpeg

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Do the greys taste better than reds?
I never noticed much difference.

Would usually pressure cook them until the meat fell off the bone. Roasted they taste good, but are quite tough.

Drenalin

WKR
Seems like a good introduction to get my son hunting. Are you guys using calls, walking, or just sitting in the woods?
Best call I’ve used is a shotgun shell tapped against my wood stock to mimic cutting. Usually do this when I know they’re around but won’t show themselves. They don’t come running, but if you watch carefully, they’ll be peeking out of holes and around trees.

Fordguy

WKR
I never noticed much difference.

Would usually pressure cook them until the meat fell off the bone. Roasted they taste good, but are quite tough.
Parboil until not quite tender and then roast. Been there, done that.
And, squirrel is great in gumbo. It's tough enough that it can cook for quite a while and not completely fall apart but still be very tender.

Last edited:
I’d be interested in that recipe if you don’t mind sharing it.

Found a short note to myself on this. Hope it's enough to get you started. Look up "chicken and dumplings".

1. Pressure cook squirrel meat with beef broth, water, and onions, then pick the meat
  2. Saute carrots, green onions, celery, and green beans in butter
  3. Boil the vegetables in the cooked broth until tender
  4. Take all the meat and dice
  5. Lightly sear meat in oil or tallow
  6. Add meat to vegetables and broth
  7. Mix dumplings (look up any recipe)
  8. Add large spoon scoops of dumplings into surface of boiling vegetable/meat mix and put a lid on
  9. Steam at medium low for 15 minutes
  10. Enjoy

Last edited: