Squirrels because why not?

Fordguy

WKR
Squirrels are good so many different ways it would be hard to list them all. In highschool I would slow cook them in chicken stock or bouillon and the next day my friends and I would cut class and have a squirrel feast. Sandwiches, tacos, or just plain squirrel with a little salt and pepper.
Presently, my favorite thing to make with squirrel is gumbo, they go so well with andouille sausage and shrimp.

my favorite thing to make with squirrel is gumbo, they go so well with andouille sausage and shrimp.
Sounds delicious. I’ve got 5 squirrels butchered in the freezer and was thinking about attempting gumbo. Was kinda hoping to get some crawdads to sub for shrimp.

I used to laugh at squirrel hunting. Then I spent a year and a half working from home. I bought a fancy air gun. And I realized there’s no limit or closed season on the invasive eastern fox squirrels that live in my yard. Plus, those things are delicious and easier to clean than razor clams.

Fordguy

WKR
Lol. I haven't tried crawdads (where I come from they're crayfish) in place of shrimp, but they should work just fine. Used to catch and eat them as a kid.

The lol was because your post triggered a memory. When I was a kid I used to ride my bicycle or horse to the creek 2 miles down the road with a few empty milk jugs. I'd ride home with those 2 jugs full of crayfish and the family would boil them and dip in melted butter. The big ones even had some worthwhile claw meat.

Y’all that stock pile your squirrels, are you vacuum sealing them or how do you do it? Seems like vacuum sealing would be the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Y’all that stock pile your squirrels, are you vacuum sealing them or how do you do it? Seems like vacuum sealing would be the way to go.

Yes I vac them and they stay decent as long as you don’t bounce them around. The bones will punch holes in the bags

I wrap them in Freeztite and them vac seal them. Seems to offer a little more protection from punctures, and freezer burn if punctures do occur.

rayporter

WKR
quarter some squirrels and wrap in bacon. add salt and pepper then wrap in foil and bury in the fire overnight.

breakfast will be fantastic.

I
After long 48 hour swing at work I really wanted to run hounds today. Alas I have to go back into work at 6pm so it would be cutting it close. Hounds go out tomorrow.
I could either watch the President get impeached again or go squirrel hunting. I chose the later.
bc0be1d3834928d912b9d1e0d311da5a.jpg
I support this fully.

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider

I freeze my squirrels in a block of water. Im
Sure vacuum sealing would work well too.

Mr2143

FNG
Seems like a good introduction to get my son hunting. Are you guys using calls, walking, or just sitting in the woods?

AKredneck63

Lil-Rokslider
Slow walk thru woods. I use a call when I stop and listen for their replies. Works 99% of the time. Great easy relaxing past time after a shitty day at work that’s for sure

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a good introduction to get my son hunting. Are you guys using calls, walking, or just sitting in the woods?
I usually walk very slowly. When the ground is dry stay on trails or avoid walking through the leaves etc as best I can. I’ll pick a point 10-20 yards away, slowly make my way to it, then stop and listen. I also have a couple of squirrel calls. Sometimes I can get them to bark at me by hitting the call.

Last time I was out, weather was bad and they were holed up pretty tight. I stopped for a few minutes under a tree and hit my call. This guy went crazy right above me. The calls definitely come in handy sometimes.

1637435173357.jpeg