St George Utah?

Ray P

FNG
Wifey and myself considering an extended trip to southern Utah this summer, we are looking for a place to perhaps purchase a second home? Maybe somewhere we can retire to in 10 years? Ive done alot of online research about cost of living, crime, etc. What say the natives? Give me the info from the trenches please?

My dad lives there, actually just outside St. George, in Ivins. Built a beautiful home in some communist HOA place called Kayenta. He and his wife love the area. They hike nearly every day. Regularly go to Zion and other parks. There is an awesome shooting sports center there, but it got closed for a while because some dumbasses let some rounds hit the highway. It think it has since re-opened.

There has been a lot of growth over the past 10 years or so since he's been there. It gets hot in the summer of course. He usually packs up a small trailer and hits the road in the summer, visiting parks and hiking. I'm not sure what drives the economy other than retirees and people moving there. There has been tons of construction work, and I think a lot of growth of the hospital.

Vegas is two hours away, which is where he generally gets flights from. Usually drives to Mesquite to get liquors, wine, beer.

The only 'issue' he ran into and its not really an issue, was being constantly recruited by the Mormon Church. He's fairly religious (methodist), and, in trying to be friendly/neighborly, would often get invited to events - dinners, etc. He'd accept, and over time it would become clear they were trying to draw him into the fold. Not interested, now he just politely declines, and no issue. You will also run into fundamentalist mormons on a not irregluar basis - mostly at the costco. Again, no problem, just something you won't see elsewhere.

Its really about the climate/environment. If you like the desert, its great.

I like trees.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
I have family that has a second home there. The area looks to be on my list of consideration also.
Same boat as you 10-15 years from now

Billinsd

WKR
I know several people that have retired there and like it. One friend is north at Cedar City and loves it. His Catholic brother married a Mormon woman and has a family in Cedar City. A guy at work has a nice place at Hurra-kin, lol, love how the locals proumonce Hurricane. Actually like the English. Lots and lots of snowbirds in St. George. The town has exploded from what I remember in the 80s, too much hustle and bustle for me.

St George is hot in the summer and nice in the winter. For a retirement location it works as the town is full of retirees. Lots of communities for retirees too. Lots of trails and quick access to the higher elevation if you want to get out of the heat. Lots of shopping so you can get everything you need in town. It’s been among the fastest growing cities for a long time. Traffic sucks around the shopping areas. Good hospital that I believe just upgraded it’s trauma center and has grown a lot lately. It’s in the desert and quite barren down there. Close to Vegas and Mesquite is close by for beer and lotto runs. We intended on moving there but it wasn’t for me so we ended up in Cedar.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Gotta love that it's s felony in Utah to bring alcohol across the state line. Like there aren't more important things to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I spent a few days there in the early 1990’s for the desert bighorn sheep society meetings. We were in one of the local bars near the hotel drinking beer when a few folks started dancing, as soon as they started the bar quit serving alcohol. Seems they have a law where they can’t serve alcohol if anyone is dancing! Who knew? We harassed the dancers until they gave up and sat down so we could get more beer! Really strange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
With the influx of people into UT, in 10 years hopefully the balance of power won't be so lop-sided and we'll be able to buy full test beer in the grocery stores :cool: