St Martin fishing!!! Anyone done it???

My wife and I will be down there June 29-July 6. We are doing our first anniversary and found an inexpensive route in an air bnb on the beach next to the water. We both like to fish and would like to do so while we are down there. Not really sure we want to spend the money on a guided trip, mainly Bc I’ve been on 3 trips while on vacation and after a lot of money spent, I’ve only got a hand full of fish to show for it. So I’m taking two rods and going to hit come canals for tarpon. I know there are snooks around the mouths of the rivers that flow out of the island as well as bone fish and snook.

Anyone fished there or have any experience with snook, tarpon, and bones? Trying to decide what lures I would need. I don’t own a fly rod so I’m not sure I want to try and deal with buying a fly rod and reel and kitting it out just for a trip. I go to Colorado once a year and could use it there but I’m hunting elk so fly fishing is not on the front of my mind.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Use your spinning rods and save yourself the anxiety of tossing flies. Check the local laws about fishing.

I'm in FL - have caught snook, tarpon, bonefish - seen a couple permit but haven't caught one yet.

The wildeye shads (swimbaits) work very well. I've gotten some big snook on those. They like structure and current - rocks, current breaks, etc. Swim the bait along the current line, past the structure. They hit like a fiend and run lightening fast, jump too. Fun fish! They also like the beach - if you are in an area with big waves, there will be a trough - that's where you should find the fish, cast parallel to beach, keep your bait in the trough....

Bonefish and permit would bit best on a small crab - maybe you can catch one and stick a hook in it. A brown jig, maybe a gulp shrimp would be nice.

BIG TARPON WILL NOT HIT A BAIT THAT SWIMS TOWARDS IT. Let that sink in - they freak. The bait needs to angle past them or away from them, then when they inhale the bait, you have time - they like to hold it in their mouth - wait for it to turn so it is facing away or at least headed in a diff direction than right at you. Reel down hard with rod out, get that line tight and give em a good couple of bumps. The fish will pause, shake and almost immediately go airborne. You need to bow to the king - stick the rod out towards it and allow a lot less pressure/ slack or the line will break. I'm talking big fish - 50+pounds here.

Small ones are more fun and still fight good. same rules but less issues, school tarpon are hungry little buggers. you'll see the small and big ones roll - cast in front of the fish by about 5 or 6 feet and reel it across in front of them...

Leaders for snook and tarpon - small ones, 25# on 10-15# line, big snook 30-40# with 25# main line, big tarpon 60-80# with 25# main line. Forgive me for talking in MONO weights. We use mono a lot, but also use 30-50# braid too. I rarely go less than 25# on my leaders.

Also - you can go in the water with a dinner roll and a mask - break it up out in front of the beach - you should have small bonefish and permit or pompano eating out of your hand - they look like mirrors.

Make sure you go snorkeling or diving. Have a great trip!

I'd bring a 4000/5000 class reel with 30# braid, 25 and 50# leader, some 1/0 or 2/0 circle hooks in case you get that crab, a couple diff size swim bait jigs - 3/4/5 inch, some jerk baits, and a few jigs, 1/4 and 3/8 oz with a pack of two of 3 inch gulp shrimp, new penny color. I don't know what colors work best white, baby bass, chartreuse are my favorites.

You may also catch jacks of some sort - tough fish, you'll see.

OP
ddavis_1313
Use your spinning rods and save yourself the anxiety of tossing flies. Check the local laws about fishing.

I'm in FL - have caught snook, tarpon, bonefish - seen a couple permit but haven't caught one yet.

The wildeye shads (swimbaits) work very well. I've gotten some big snook on those. They like structure and current - rocks, current breaks, etc. Swim the bait along the current line, past the structure. They hit like a fiend and run lightening fast, jump too. Fun fish! They also like the beach - if you are in an area with big waves, there will be a trough - that's where you should find the fish, cast parallel to beach, keep your bait in the trough....

Bonefish and permit would bit best on a small crab - maybe you can catch one and stick a hook in it. A brown jig, maybe a gulp shrimp would be nice.

BIG TARPON WILL NOT HIT A BAIT THAT SWIMS TOWARDS IT. Let that sink in - they freak. The bait needs to angle past them or away from them, then when they inhale the bait, you have time - they like to hold it in their mouth - wait for it to turn so it is facing away or at least headed in a diff direction than right at you. Reel down hard with rod out, get that line tight and give em a good couple of bumps. The fish will pause, shake and almost immediately go airborne. You need to bow to the king - stick the rod out towards it and allow a lot less pressure/ slack or the line will break. I'm talking big fish - 50+pounds here.

Small ones are more fun and still fight good. same rules but less issues, school tarpon are hungry little buggers. you'll see the small and big ones roll - cast in front of the fish by about 5 or 6 feet and reel it across in front of them...

Leaders for snook and tarpon - small ones, 25# on 10-15# line, big snook 30-40# with 25# main line, big tarpon 60-80# with 25# main line. Forgive me for talking in MONO weights. We use mono a lot, but also use 30-50# braid too. I rarely go less than 25# on my leaders.

Also - you can go in the water with a dinner roll and a mask - break it up out in front of the beach - you should have small bonefish and permit or pompano eating out of your hand - they look like mirrors.

Make sure you go snorkeling or diving. Have a great trip!

I'd bring a 4000/5000 class reel with 30# braid, 25 and 50# leader, some 1/0 or 2/0 circle hooks in case you get that crab, a couple diff size swim bait jigs - 3/4/5 inch, some jerk baits, and a few jigs, 1/4 and 3/8 oz with a pack of two of 3 inch gulp shrimp, new penny color. I don't know what colors work best white, baby bass, chartreuse are my favorites.

You may also catch jacks of some sort - tough fish, you'll see.

Man thanks for the input! That’s very helpful. As far as reels, I primarily bay fish and bass fish so curados and a medium sized spinning reel is all I have. So if I get on a really big fish, I’ll have to hope I don’t get spooled. Lol. As far as leader since I will be running braid as the main line, are you using mono or flouro for leader line? Just wanted to clarify. And I think gulp makes some crabs as well. I know someone does. And I’ve read that there is a live bait shop on the island. But that was before the hurricane. Either way, me and momma are gonna try to burn up some fish at least a couple days while we are down there. She is just gonna have to get out of bed in the mornings!

isu22andy

WKR
I was there last year a week before the huricane hit. We stayed at the Villas at Simpson Bay resort. Bring snorkle gear if your into it or you can rent it from your resort likely . We snorkeled right off the resort beach and saw tons of cool fish and marine life. We ate one night at Siint Martiin Yacht club - tons of giant fish right off the dock that would eat french fries and anything else thrown in the water. Didnt have my rod and reel so no real fishing advice. Make sure you hit up the beach and restraunt by the airport ! Pretty sweet watching those big international Boeings 777s land ! Also the ziplining is pretty nuts if your not scared of heights ! Have fun . Loved it there.

OP
ddavis_1313
I was there last year a week before the huricane hit. We stayed at the Villas at Simpson Bay resort. Bring snorkle gear if your into it or you can rent it from your resort likely . We snorkeled right off the resort beach and saw tons of cool fish and marine life. We ate one night at Siint Martiin Yacht club - tons of giant fish right off the dock that would eat french fries and anything else thrown in the water. Didnt have my rod and reel so no real fishing advice. Make sure you hit up the beach and restraunt by the airport ! Pretty sweet watching those big international Boeings 777s land ! Also the ziplining is pretty nuts if your not scared of heights ! Have fun . Loved it there.

Sadly, I think the fish you are referring to are off limits. Lol. And we will certainly eat at the restraint near the airport and catch a couple planes coming in over our heads! We both love zip lining and enjoyed it in the Dominican. Never really was higher than 60-70 ft or so off the ground and it wasn’t bad. We are looking forward in some zip lining for sure. As well as taking advantage of the French beaches. Lol

isu22andy

WKR
Sadly, I think the fish you are referring to are off limits. Lol. And we will certainly eat at the restraint near the airport and catch a couple planes coming in over our heads! We both love zip lining and enjoyed it in the Dominican. Never really was higher than 60-70 ft or so off the ground and it wasn’t bad. We are looking forward in some zip lining for sure. As well as taking advantage of the French beaches. Lol

Most of the planes come from 10am - 5pm . So youll likely catch them when your in the water but still cool regardless. The zipline we went to was on the Loterie farm, these were welll welll above the trees, some crossing huge canyons . Easily 200 foot off the ground in some places.

OP
ddavis_1313
Most of the planes come from 10am - 5pm . So youll likely catch them when your in the water but still cool regardless. The zipline we went to was on the Loterie farm, these were welll welll above the trees, some crossing huge canyons . Easily 200 foot off the ground in some places.

Hell yeah! Gonna save that info for some zip lining fun!

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
I was just in the West Indies three weeks ago...there be snook in those waters matey. Big snook.

Early mornings and evenings will bring your larger fish into the shallower flats to feed. I would take a gander at the tide tables prior to leaving. This will give you a strong indication of when some peak feeding times will be for the larger predators. While tidal action isn’t overly dramatic in that part of the world it does play a role in how the larger fish hunt. The best part is that tides are fairly predictable even this far in advance.
I would also recommend looking at google earth prior to heading down. Just like when we hunt this can be a very effective tool in scouting a walk and wade fishing adventure like you are planning. I would be looking for flats (light colored blue or sandy colored pieces of water) with near proximity to deeper reefs (dark blue patches of water) or coral structure (intermittent patches of darker blue spots). It can also be used to identify piers, river mouths and jetties. Find beaches near your air bnb on google and start from there, you can even use street view to figure out what the beach looks from the ground (wouldn’t that be nice on the mountain). Make sure to familiarize yourself with local laws. Most beaches are public but you want to make sure your familiar with regs before you get down there. Once you identify some good areas. Figure out what the tides look like and make your way to those pre selected spots whenever you have a good current.

I helped a buddy scout like this for a recent trip to the southern Yucatán and we were able to identify a few honey holes that he then plucked bone fish, permit, jack crevalles and trigger fish out of. More importantly we’re able to reduce a lot wasted time aimlessly walking the beach. Not to different from an OTC archery hunt here in CO.

Tight lines.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got back from the West Indies too. I took my own rods with the same intentions you have. I was planning on renting a kayak and fishing. I decided to go on reef fishing trip to get some ideas on to ask the captain questions. Turns out the side of the island we were staying on was littered with parks so no fishing was allowed within kayaking distance. I ended up not fishing on my own but I am glad I did the trip, got lots of good info for about $200 plus I ate fresh grouper for a few nights.